Like Tree7Likes

Carribean coast,skyline appartments

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chateau:
    It is not offensive
    Well that's subjective. It is offensive to some (Jimbo, for example).

[edit] of course, I think he realises you didn't intend it in a pejorative manner
    Last edited by limepickle; 13-04-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Limppickle - Can you clarify, what is it that is offensive?

It isn't to me. But as mentioned earlier there are some negative connotations associated with it. Wiki ‘oriental’ and look at Perceptions and connotations. Some examples … In modern Canadian usage, according to the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, the term "Oriental" is considered offensive when applied to a person of East Asian ancestry. Random House's Guide to Sensitive Language states "Other words (e.g., Oriental, colored) are outdated or inaccurate." This Guide to Sensitive Language suggests the use of "Asian or more specific designation such as Pacific Islander, Chinese American, [or] Korean". Merriam-Webster describes the term as "sometimes offensive.

I shouldn’t worry. It’s all very PC, I know, and I’m sure everyone knows you weren’t intending to offend.
    Satay Sue likes this.

Strange, when I was in Japan it was common knowledge that you never referred to anyone from the Far East as Oriental. Food, furniture, yes. People - no.
    jimbo and Claire ex-ax like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Strange, when I was in Japan it was common knowledge that you never referred to anyone from the Far East as Oriental. Food, furniture, yes. People - no.
    Yup exactly correct.

Is yellow offensive?

A friend of mine in the UK was explaining to me once how the term "Asian" is commonly used to describe people pf south Asian origin (India etc) but "Oriental" tends to be used in relation to people from the far east countries like China, Japan etc.
    In Australia where I am from, its normally associated with people from China, Japan etc.
    Most Aussies I know have thick skins and a sense of humour about such things and don't choose to be offended UNLESS someone uses such a term maliciously. Guess its different here and people are more sensitive.

Last edited by Loz_2; 13-04-2011 at 11:15 PM.

WOW.... Thanks to the Americans I believe, which is why this word is being treated most unfairly, and it wasn't like it originated in the USA either, its not their word to abuse.......GRRRRR

The word Oriental originated in Europe, refers to people from the Orient ie... EAST ! ffs. Are we going to ban the word orientation too, which refers to building entrances that face the East, ie of the correct orientation, as it is from the same latin word family ?

We can thank the Americans for the misuse of the word Oriental, a derogatory word used during chapters of US history when Chinese, and Japanese people were discriminated against. It's about as bad as the N word to African Americans, and the K word in South Africa. Now, I can understand that Jimbo might take offence, especially if an American typed/said it, who colloquially have a different definition of what that word means, as opposed to the proper, inoffensive, European version.

I think Jimbo's reaction would be quite valid if Chateau had been an American, but not in this particular case, as the context was used in the original European form, which has existed since the Roman Empire, well before the discovery of the America's.

Last edited by Skyhook; 14-04-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:

ffs. Are we going to ban the word orientation too, which refers to building entrances that face the East, ie of the correct orientation, as it is from the same latin word family ?

No - because as I said, it's how the word is used. For furniture, food etc it's not offensive. For people it is. I would be interested to hear Chinese posters' views on this.

Well I think most people use the word "Asian" and not "Oriental" anyway simply becauuse its a more modern word and easier to say with the same broad meaning. Nothing to do with the later being offensive as far as I know. It's probably an American thing, and I am offended that Americans try to export their culture, beliefs, and butchered use of the english language to the rest of the world.