Mui Wo

Smile Mui Wo

I know this is a Discovery Bay forum, but just wondering if anyone has looked into or considered Mui Wo as a place to live? I checked it out last week, and it seems cheaper than DB by a long shot. Only problem is the ferry service is slower and not as often to Central. Also, nothing to do after the sun sets but watch TV. Any one care to comment on Mui Wo as a place to live?

They run two types of ferries to Mui Wo, slow (1hr) and fast (25mins). There are one or maybe two English-style pubs there and a 7-11 what more do you want?

There's rather more than that - Wellcome, ParknShop, a number of restaurants (albeit not as expensive as the new DB ones), etc.

The scheduled times on the ferries are here: http://www.nwff.com.hk/english/sched...From=25&line=H
    I reckon nearer 30 minutes for the fast one and 50-55 for the ordinary...

'Bahce', the Turkish restaurant in Mui Wo, has excellent food and live music about once a week. The 'China Bear' is a popular watering hole - both are near the bus terminal / ferry pier.

Smile

Thanks for the watering hole tips, but I never drink water. Do they sell cold American beer? From the look of replies, no one really lives there. But I found a nice 1200 sq ft house to rent for $4800 month about 5 minutes from the ferry. Two floors, and two baths. Not bad considering what DB rents for these days. Still, it is a little isolated. I prefer DB and the Plaza, not to mention more people who speak English. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by redwriter
    Thanks for the watering hole tips, but I never drink water. Do they sell cold American beer? From the look of replies, no one really lives there. But I found a nice 1200 sq ft house to rent for $4800 month about 5 minutes from the ferry. Two floors, and two baths. Not bad considering what DB rents for these days. Still, it is a little isolated. I prefer DB and the Plaza, not to mention more people who speak English. Thanks for the help.
    DB and Mui Wo are very different worlds. If you're expected a large English-speaking community, you'll need to be prepared to pay expat housing prices. DB does have reasonably-priced apartments but if you're looking for a village house for $5K, you're in the wrong place.

Agree that the plaza has more dining and drinking options although I'd take the China Bear in Mui Wo over the Beer Bay in DB plaza any day...and yes, it does serve American beer.

Wink

Thanks for the reply. My wife and I already rent in DB. Negotiated down from 9.5K to 7K. Costa Court, 2 bedroom, top floor. Great views. But we also looked at Mui Wo. The rentals are much cheaper, but like you pointed out, not many English speaking people in the community. As for me, I like the Plaza, and beach, and walk in the hills, so DB is just my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by redwriter
    My wife and I already rent in DB. Negotiated down from 9.5K to 7K. Costa Court, 2 bedroom, top floor. Great views.
    That's a good deal for DB. Enjoy!

Wow, that is a good deal, as is the house on Mui Wo!