Like Tree49Likes

DB vs TC

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

DB vs TC

Hello,

I will be moving, with my wife and baby daughter, to HK in September and we are hoping to live on Lantau. DB has been recommended to me as a fantastic place to live and is, at present, our first choice.

Could people please enlighten me on the differences between Discovery Bay and Tung Chung? From an outsider's perspective they both seem very attractive locations but I would really appreciate any insight into the differences, both positive and negative. I will be working in Central so transport will be one factor but quality of life and facilities are just as important, especially as my wife and daughter will be at home during the day.

Thank you in advance.

have you ever lived in a sleeping city or remote outskirts of a city before ?
    if not, it might pose a problem, though with family it is easier.

I read and article in the SCMP that prices for golf carts are around 2.2 million in DB. Not sure if that's relevant!

I can't see the point of living in Tung Chung (a remote new town) unless you work at the airport.

I am living in TC for an year now and feel TC is one of the best places to live. Great Location, Less pollution, Great Clubhouses, good connectivity options MTR/Buses etc. Easy travel to Airport (3.1 HKD by bus)

Good hiking trails, good grocery stores etc

db advantages
    high proportion of expats, great environment to bring up kids, no cars, relatively accessible via public tranport, frequent ferry

db disadavantages
    expat/gwai lo prices ( higher than most parts of hk) in malls, you can't drive there, expensive ferry, closest thing to closed society in HK (kind off like bradford for asians, brixton from blacks), carts are extortion, some apartments are pricey now

tc advantages

cheapish apartment, great public transport/easy to get to kowloon/hk island and NT, parking charges are acceptable/ok, pretty ok/cheapish mall ( citygate outlet), excellent for airport

tc disadvantage

pollution apparently is bad there, slightly remote town

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    db advantages
    high proportion of expats, great environment to bring up kids, no cars, relatively accessible via public tranport, frequent ferry

db disadavantages
    expat/gwai lo prices ( higher than most parts of hk) in malls, you can't drive there, expensive ferry, closest thing to closed society in HK (kind off like bradford for asians, brixton from blacks), carts are extortion, some apartments are pricey now

tc advantages

cheapish apartment, great public transport/easy to get to kowloon/hk island and NT, parking charges are acceptable/ok, pretty ok/cheapish mall ( citygate outlet), excellent for airport

tc disadvantage

pollution apparently is bad there, slightly remote town
    All other stuff is okay but Pollution is the same in TC or DB, you see there are more Buses roaming around at any hour of the day to pollute the so calles No-Cars zone in DB.

Thank you all, I appreciate the help although I am still none the wiser! I suspect that I won't really be able to make a decision until I am on the ground but I am trying to at least narrow down the options before I arrive.

In a nutshell, I don't want to live anywhere central and would prefer to be somewhere near the coast. A very family focused area is fine with me, especially of there are residents' clubs or similar. I would also prefer to be somewhere with a fairly international community. Cost is also a consideration, I really dont want to be paying mre than $20k/month, preferably less.

Any ideas as to location, on Lantau or elsewhere, would be very gratefully received.

gold coast

DB is great for those who want to keep to themselves and just live in a pseudo gaijin only environment. You can keep to yourselves if thats what you want.

Tung Chung in comparison, sucks. It's full of locals and people from the mainland who are shopping mad. Any given weekend, there are more mainlanders in the mall than there are locals.

Tung Chung has rail. That counts for a lot when you are commuting and during typhoon season. You can own a car if you live in Tung Chung. DB people too, but they'll need to park it at Sunny Bay and taake the bus home.

I like DB, they have grreat restaurants there. The Korean place is really good. But madam chef lives in Tung Chung too.

Gaijin1 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast