Mui Wo Questions

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by redwriter:
    I went to Mui Wo on Monday. All the stores and most restaurants were closed. I think Monday is a day off. Hotel was empty, and very few people about. But I did see some flats for sell under $1 million, which is very cheap by HK standards. Also some rentals for $3-5K, most over 400 sq ft, and one house with car garage for $6K.

But talk about quiet, even the dead were talking about it.

Kidding.

I thought quiet was good. I'm actually curious about this place. Sounds like it's a good place for non-stressful, local living. Would I get by with broken Cantonese?
    Last edited by aquarella; 13-03-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Not Quite so Negative

I work in North Point, and so am on a very early ferry everyday. I don't mind this so much, as I tend to return early as well.
    We live in one of the villages in the valley, so are about 20 minutes walk away from the ferry, or about 5 minutes by bike.
    I can't say that I agree with the apocolyptic image of Mui Wo given by cyberience - he is right that there are some lost souls in the town, but they are largely harmless and don't affect my life or that of my family at all.
    We are DB refugees, who moved to MW after our landlord tried to raise the rent 50%. we never regretted the decision. Lots of space, much bigger place than we could ever afford in DB, quiet, nice people. Our kids (3 and 8 y.o.) can play outside with their friends without worry. This year we bought our two story house for the price of a 500 sq ft box in a bleak DB highrise.
    We've noticed more and more DB refugees with families looking into moving to MW in the past year.
    The Pros:
    - for families, there's more space at affordable prices
    - beautiful views
    - cycling daily
    - village life

The Cons:
    - far from any nightlife
    - town center sadly in need of attention (we hear that construction on "Facelift" will begin in 2010)
    - lack of services

Thank you Mui Wo Guy, I agree with all you said. Mui Wo was my first choice, but wife wanted DB. Already she is thinking selling and moving to Mui Wo. Quiet? After living on HK Island, Mui Wo is like dying and going to heaven. I think you are right about improvements around 2010 or a little sooner, but I can wait on that.

I was born and raised here, but I've never been to Mui Wo. Maybe I'll head out there some time next week now that the Education Bureau's given us a holiday.

You are probably right, and I don't get along with European expats, so I would not enjoy living there. I do remember seeing many of them sitting around the waterfront drinking beer. I thought they were disgusting, and give a bad image to the Chinese. So I would skip the place.
    I agree with all you said. Mui Wo was my first choice, but wife wanted DB. Already she is thinking selling and moving to Mui Wo. Quiet? After living on HK Island, Mui Wo is like dying and going to heaven
    So, which is it

deano64 asked? which is it?

Probably both, since I will keep the house in DB and rent it out, and buy a small house in Mui Wo to live in. Best of two worlds.

Mui Wo Houses

If you're interested in buying (or even in renting), you'd better hurry. We've seen a marked increase in demand with no increase in supply. Again, it's the increase in DB rentals that's causing families to look for alternatives.
    My wife also preferred DB when we first considered Lantau ten years ago. After seven years, we'd had enough. I always found high rise living dehumanizing - it was like a prison. I liked drinking beer in the plaza, but even this got old.
    The thing about Mui Wo villages is that you get to know your neighbours.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PerryCo:
    Thank you cyberience for information on Mui Wo. You are probably right, and I don't get along with European expats, so I would not enjoy living there. I do remember seeing many of them sitting around the waterfront drinking beer. I thought they were disgusting, and give a bad image to the Chinese. So I would skip the place.
    You better look out before you buy anything in Mui Wo or you might end up with European expats as neighbors...

Mui Wo

could someone help and refer an agent...?

You better look out before you buy anything in Mui Wo or you might end up with European expats as neighbors...

Thank you elle for reminding me how bad expats can be.

I'll stay in DB and enjoy the good life.