Like Tree15Likes

Need opinions on Houseboat living in DB

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You may all jest but meanwhile, MovingIn07 and other members of the crack Gold Coast Peoples' Defence Force are hunkering down for another long night repelling wave after wave of pirate attacks. Your heartlessness dismays me, forumgoers.
    Name:  marine women.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  145.1 KB

Mr Moving returns, visibly shell-shocked, from a trip to Park N Shop to buy some eggs.
    Name:  71730-1.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  36.4 KB

Last edited by dipper; 06-07-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Loz_2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    If you look at HK1's posting history, he's either a deliberate troll or just plain thick. Not really worth spending time arguing with.
    Or option (C) --> trolling AND thick.

Quote Originally Posted by rathunt:
    I am not so sure he is trolling... When I think of hotbeds of violent crime in the world I think Mogadishu, Johannesburg, Mexico City, Bogota and Discovery Bay...
    It's those golf carts that have been converted into technicals that you have to watch out for in DB.

(Apologies to the OP for continuing to completely derail this thread, but hey, that's what happens around here)

It's those golf carts that have been converted into technicals that you have to watch out for in DB.
    I see your golf cart and raise you whatever this is meant to be.

For those eagle eye forum members yes, this photo was taken at the Discovery Bay golf course about 200 yards from the mainland pirate camp that has sprung up on the 9th green.
    jgl likes this.

some of my fondest childhood memories are from visiting a friend who lived on a house boat in discobay marina and playing around the docks, catching fish, causing trouble etc. i damn near lived at his house for a few years. the area has a really great family atmosphere and is very friendly for young kids. a bit removed but that might be a plus for some.

neighborhoods do tend to deteriorate though, and i haven't been back to db since they started arming golf carts... with the north plaza, the tunnel, the bridge and the airport, disco bay marina could very well be a major smuggling point by now.

good luck op.

since its getting off topic anyway i've been meaning to ask, why do men have nipples?

If you look at HK1's posting history, he's either a deliberate troll or just plain thick. Not really worth spending time arguing with.
    not a troll.

HK1 is a leading figure in the separatist militia currently stationed in Nim Shue Wan.

She has been leading the hk seperatist movement for the past decade since the alleged death of lily wong and the mysterious disappearance of her brother rudy.
    elle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne:
    for safety you aren't concerned about a Mainland or SE Asian pirate or bandit killing u at night and robbing u? Seems to me it's not safe given inability to own a firearm here.
    Are you nuts? we don't even lock our doors.
    katiekrackers likes this.

I live on a boat in the DB Marina, ask me anything you like.
    We chose it over an apartment in Wanchai as it was more bang for our buck - certainly more space!
    I will tell you it's 100% safe in terms of crime. No one even locks their doors (plus there's reception and security).
    As far as the typhoons go, our boat was 100% fine during the T10, though have heard a boat down the other end didn't fare so well.
    There's a pool, tennis courts, a gym, a bar and restaurant...it's a resort kinda lifestyle, but having said you have to ask yourself if that's what you're moving to HK for?
    Also since moving here in May 2012, my direct neighbors are great but I haven't found it as friendly as I thought (the women are a bit "clicky" here and as far as I can tell I'm the only woman in her 30's without kids so they have no interest in me at all).
    P.S. I see you're Canadian, there are plenty of others here so you won't get homesick!

Hi Katiecrackers. Thanks for the good gen. We're a couple in our early thirties looking for a houseboat too. Are you renting or did you buy? Are there any other hidden costs to be aware of? Is DB particularly more expensive than some of the other marinas? Where are most of the boats up for rental advertised? Appreciate your advice