Like Tree15Likes

Need opinions on Houseboat living in DB

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need opinions on Houseboat living in DB

We are in the midst of moving to HKG this coming August. Anyone out there that lives on a houseboat? Any feedback would be great. What about storms? How do they affect the boat?

rebecca, i have a friend who lives on a boat in db with her husband, young son and the family dog. they seem to love it. i'd pass on their info, but they are in newfoundland for the summer.

ignore gruntfuttock. he does not know of which he speaks.

I agree with Cara, ignore Grundfuttock's attempts trying to be 'funny'
    Your best option is to have a look once you arrive here. Talk to some of the people living there and make sure you know all the pros and cons.
    By all accounts the folks at the DB Marina are a great community, but like everywhere living there also has it's downsides.
    One thing I remember was Parknshop announcing a while ago that they won't deliver directly to the boats/berths anymore, your goods will only be delivered to the clubhouse. The same goes for Hong Kong Post.
    I believe your choice of internet providers is limited to PCCW - at least it has been until last year.
    One of our members here (Movingin07) lives on a boat at the Gold Coast - I am sure she can answer your question about storms.

carang likes this.

the times ive visited houseboats in the DB marina its been deathly quiet, seems like a lot of holiday 'homes' or tenants working away constantly, the constant stream of aircraft taking off overhead are relaxing too

Typhoons are not a problem just add ropes and ride it out. DB marina is more crowded than Gold Coast and I rejected it on this basis. But othewise I LOVE living on a boat and considor it our best decision coming here.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using GeoClicks Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne:
    But seriously if you are living on a boat its really not too secure especially given the location, dearth of people around, etc. I
    Are you speaking based on your experience of living on a boat (or knowing someone who lives on a boat) in Hong Kong or are you speaking based on zero knowledge (ie: Need guns for living on boat ) ?

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Are you speaking based on your experience of living on a boat (or knowing someone who lives on a boat) in Hong Kong or are you speaking based on zero knowledge (ie: Need guns for living on boat ) ?
    Common sense. Does that ring any bells?

Common sense dictates that you go, look, try, research, interview those who have done it before assuming that one of the safest places in the world is full of pirates and bandits that are waiting to kill you.

Just as I though, you've come up with your answers and fears based on nothing at all.

Troll alert

Quote Originally Posted by HKNumberOne:
    Common sense. Does that ring any bells?
    If you look at HK1's posting history, he's either a deliberate troll or just plain thick. Not really worth spending time arguing with.
    HowardCoombs and jaykay like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    If you look at HK1's posting history, he's either a deliberate troll or just plain thick. Not really worth spending time arguing with.
    I am not so sure he is trolling... When I think of hotbeds of violent crime in the world I think Mogadishu, Johannesburg, Mexico City, Bogota and Discovery Bay...
    Loz_2, carang and elle like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast