Discovery Bay

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Discovery Bay

Now that I've been to have a look at see some flats, I have a couple more questions re Discovery Bay.
    First of all, it's gorgeous. And the flats I saw were lovely too.
    So much as I started out wanting to be as close to Central as possible, now I'm wavering.
    My ONLY concerns about DB are the getting back and forth and particularly getting back late.
    Does anyone living out there find that the fact of having to take the ferry (and the time it takes) puts a crimp in your social life?
    I know the question sounds a bit daft but it's not as if you can pop out for a quick coffee with friends and I just wondered if anyone who lives there can give me a first hand opinion.
    Also, as a single woman, should I be concerned about getting home on my own in the wee hours? Wouldn't it be a bit creepy waiting near the pier for your bus? Basically it's the age old question... how safe would that be?
    Any comments from other singles living out there would be much appreciated.
    Thanks very much.

Walking home late at night in DB is as safe as it gets. You won't have to wait for the bus on arrival as they usually meet the incoming ferries. I've lived in DB 10 years ago and moved back earlier this year.. and no, it does not effect my social live. On the contrary, I met a couple of very nice people in DB I now consider friends. If you are commuting daily on the ferry, it would be a good idea to live within walking distance to the pier, ie La Vista, La Costa, the Plaze Lane, La Serene and the buildings of Phase 3 behind the plaza. That makes you independent from shuttle buses and hire car and makes life a whole lot more easy when it comes to daily chores like grocery shopping..

Very helpful, Elle.
    How about transportation to The Airport... would the areas near the Pier be covienient for trips to out there?
    Thanks

All the buses leaving Discovery Bay start at the bus terminal next to the pier. Walking distance to the ferry means walking distance to the Tung Chung bus, Airport bus and the bus to Tsim Shat Tsui as well.

HKnewbie: DB is very safe and there are many nice places out here to live. However, if I was single and/or had no kids I wouldn't recommend moving here. Despite it being advertised as a friendly place with a real community spirit, my partner and I find that it's quite the opposite. If you have kids though - different story. The commute gets to you after a while, especially late at night when it takes even longer and having to run your life around a ferry schedule isn't much fun either.

Are there any problem areas in Discovery Bay (mainly concerning Construction, certain phases that are problem areas etc...). Thanks!

Thanks very much everyone. Elle, I appreciate you're reply and much as I do think DB is a LOVELY place, I think ozcalgirl might be a little more like me and I think the being single and the ferry thing might get to me.
    However, I'm off to mid-levels and SoHo to have a look today. That might have me ruinning back to DB!!!
    Thanks again.

Wink DB vs Midlevels

undefined
    undefined
    The only building that I know of that has shoddy construction and is always having problems ie: gas, water leaks so forth is Crestmont Villa. It's a shame as well because they're really nice places, they just weren't built very well.

Also check the DB website out:
    www.DBfleamarket.com for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by HKnewbie:
    Kitchen's a bit small and I have to get used to the idea of not having an oven
    Don't worry about that - if you're single pretty soon you'll have got used to the idea of not cooking at home at all! (I don't know any single person here who does, beyond the odd instant noodles or pizza reheat.)

Exclamation

A bit out of topic.. The Standard newspaper has an interesting article describing the events that led to the development of Discovery Bay.

Last edited by kostas; 13-01-2005 at 09:41 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast