Like Tree85Likes

Food poisoning at Zaks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

They have to close down or business as usual ?

Ah Disco Bay-- tough place to own a restaurant, as you actually have to follow food hygiene protocols. Serving a bunch of expats with sensitive stomachs that aren't used to the bugs...

cookie09 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Ah Disco Bay-- tough place to own a restaurant, as you actually have to follow food hygiene protocols. Serving a bunch of expats with sensitive stomachs that aren't used to the bugs...
    I don't think anyone gets used to salmonella. My wife was hospitalised with it a few years back.
    eIIe and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I don't think anyone gets used to salmonella. My wife was hospitalised with it a few years back.
    Salmonella is a bacteria and no one develops immunity towards it...however, people can develop stronger immunity and become less likely to succumb to the effects of certain strains of salmonella.

I have had lots of friends travel with me throughout Asia (who don't live in Asia) and quite often they get food poisoning while I don't and we are eating the same food. I have spent over a decade eating from places where I'm sure their is lots of bacterial issues. I have developed a stronger immunity or as i like to say it, the "asia" stomach.

*No disrespect to your wife or anyone who has gotten Salmonella, it can happen to anyone and isn't fun.

Open Casket - Perhaps we can all get the Castello Brothers to invite you to the soft re-launch to test what degree of Salmonella is ok for those with Asian stomachs? They can use you as a health and safety measuring stick for their outlets in non-expat locations?

Zak's got the editor's choice award in this weekend's SCMP restaurant guide.

Last edited by shri; 25-04-2016 at 08:15 AM.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Salmonella is a bacteria and no one develops immunity towards it...however, people can develop stronger immunity and become less likely to succumb to the effects of certain strains of salmonella.

I have had lots of friends travel with me throughout Asia (who don't live in Asia) and quite often they get food poisoning while I don't and we are eating the same food. I have spent over a decade eating from places where I'm sure their is lots of bacterial issues. I have developed a stronger immunity or as i like to say it, the "asia" stomach.

*No disrespect to your wife or anyone who has gotten Salmonella, it can happen to anyone and isn't fun.
    Wait until you get older. I thought that when I was younger and now I find I go down with everything. I think it's at least as much to do with age and genetics and luck as building up some kind of "asian immunity".

Oh, and the one and only time I got Salmonella was at a company picnic in the US. The sad part about that episode was that the caterer packed the sandwiches and gave them to their kid's scout group for a camping trip.

While we were bent over praying to the toilet gods, cops and ambulances were sent out looking for the kids. They luckily got there before lunch time.

Last edited by shri; 25-04-2016 at 08:43 AM.

There are bugs and then there are bugs. Salmonella kills thousands globally including Asians.

Business as usual at Zaks yesterday. Ate lunch there and am still alive and kicking. That's what you get for not keeping up with the news. I had no idea until I read about it here. Having said that, I guess the safest time to eat in a restaurant is shortly after they've been busted for a food poisoning outbreak.

One time went to eat seafood in Po Toi O (布袋澳) after a hike. The staff were super insistent that all the customers washed their hands in a outside sink (this obviously also meant that staff behaviour could be verified too. They had disabled the one inside the toilet. We asked why and found out that had had a food poisoning outbreak recently and weren't taking any chances.

Never had salmonella (touch wood), but can heartily NOT recommend giardiasis as a way to spend your week. Thanks, Jakarta (twice) and Bangalore (once).

Lived in Bangkok for four years and never had even the slightest hint of a stomach upset.

The only food poisoning I can recall from eating in Hong Kong involved Wendys and TCBY - so served me right for being such a philistine.

Last edited by Kinch; 25-04-2016 at 08:47 AM.
    Open Casket and Lord Dashwood like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Wait until you get older. I thought that when I was younger and now I find I go down with everything. I think it's at least as much to do with age and genetics and luck as building up some kind of "asian immunity".
    agreed, it can effect people with weakened immune systems more...young and very old.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast