Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Lamma Island and snakes/spiders/other-stuff-that-kills

i lived there 20+ years, had snakes in every room (underneath washing machine was the most surprising), but then we were living in the old style one storey Tong house, not in the three storey flats. Once stood over a python, wondering why the big piece of wood was moving hahaha We had a dog that killed cobras (for fun) outside our house, once a week for about 8 weeks, we never stopped her in time at first.... Saw all kinds of snakes on Lamma, banded krait, bamboo snakes etc. You just become more aware of your surroundings on Lamma, it's not a bad thing....
    It was centipedes that was more our bane, their bites sting and they seem to get in everywhere....

Personally I'm a nature admirer and I always make fun (in a positive way) of those people living in Hong Kong who say it's a dump, well of course it is if all you see is Causeway Bay and live in those humongous skyscrapers. There's so much other space worth living in with not tragic transport, I think Lamma Island being one of them, and cheaper per square meter.

My main concern from snakes as far as I read about it are the Bamboo Pit Vipers. These guys I've heard are quite aggressive and actually attack you. I can imagine that living on the bottom floor might be more interesting. The flat we're trying to get is on upper floor so unless snakes take the stairs or pipes it's harder to get there.

Any specific experience with Bamboo Pit Vipers? As far as I know the small green ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2