Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Lamma Island and snakes/spiders/other-stuff-that-kills

Lamma Island and snakes/spiders/other-stuff-that-kills

Hey good people of GeoExpat forum!

We're moving to Lamma Island in August. We're not extremely afraid or not afraid of snakes, of course minimising encounters is probably better than exposing yourself to sth like the Bamboo Pit Viper which is apparently responsible for 95% snake bites in Hong Kong all together.

Real question is this... so how often do you actually see a snake? Or how often does it get to your house? Or did you ever had one on a rooftop?

We're moving there regardless of the reply, because the island is amazing, but just out of curiosity, how does the situation look like.

Thank you very much for your replies

Lived on Lamma Island for 2 years, saw a snake once, thought it was a branch off a tree lying on the road, until it moved. I moved faster.

Spiders: I had 2 cats, occasionally I'd find a leg, never saw a whole spider except up in the trees on their webs.

tkupczyk and spode like this.

Was once walking down some stairs in Yung Shue Wan, during heavy rain, when a ~6ft snake pulled out just in front of me and went slithering down the stairs.

Didn't almost crap myself, honest!!

tkupczyk likes this.

You had two cats?

Zero Gravitas and Stoob like this.

The fact is we're killing far more things left and right almost with ever step we take.

How often you encounter this magnificent wildlife we have here depends on you and how much time you spend out and about (and when). In living 3 years in a more rural setting I have only seen a snake (yes a "DEADLY" one) in the built area once. Seen quite a few out hiking, especially in spring when they're more active. They are always trying very hard to get the hell out of your way faster, because sadly we're a bigger threat to them than the other way around.

As for spiders, we have a lot inside and outside in our garden area. I love them because we want their help with mosquitoes. We even had a wolf spider, who was sadly very scared. Lots of little geckos make their home here, too.

What you should really be asking yourself is how well you handle cockroaches... And do you like frogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    And do you like frogs?
    Having had a lot of bullfrogs outside my flat in Aberdeen, this full question should be: And do you like frogs croaking loudly all night every night?
    tkupczyk and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tkupczyk
    You had two cats?
    Fortunately they did live to a ripe old age despite their own attempts at killing themselves.
    tkupczyk and shri like this.

Cockroaches and frogs are fine. I'll just make pancakes/burgers from cockroaches (pure protein) and stuff all the frogs.

Of course joking

Just be sure to visit the prospective place at night to be well aware of what it is like then.

Also, can you handle aggressive dogs?

Yeah, so what's up with the dogs? The place we're renting is quite well situated within other houses around. It's not a lonesome place.

We've been there at night. It's ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast