A Really Good Map for HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The property agents idea is a good one, i'll try that. And the DB website map wasn't working for me before but it is now! Thanks

For general maps Google is pretty good

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=discovery+bay,+hong+kong &sll=22.396428,114.109497&sspn=0.57898,0.884399&g= hong+kong&ie=UTF8&ll=22.298229,114.013796&spn=0.03 6212,0.055275&t=h&z=14"]discovery bay, hong kong - Google Maps[/ame]

Or is you want recent property price transactions then look at
    www.centamap.com

I also use Centamap

Google Maps for HK gave me some inaccurate results before. I use Google Maps for US and other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by chowfun:
    I also use Centamap

Google Maps for HK gave me some inaccurate results before. I use Google Maps for US and other countries.
    The best mapo to my experience is centmap - maybe somone local could comment on how up to date it is.

The advantage over ypmap (which is better for bus routes) is that it is bilingual all the way, not either English or Chinese. I like to have printouts with both languages.

I know from a friend (former police officer), that the police use it as well when they are planning operations.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 12-01-2009 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chowfun:
    I also use Centamap

Agreed.... You have to be extremely cautious.

I googled an address at 2 Queens Road and it showed up towards Sheungwan!!! Opposite direction.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Agreed.... You have to be extremely cautious.

I googled an address at 2 Queens Road and it showed up towards Sheungwan!!! Opposite direction.
    Queen's Road is a long road, sectioned into three: Queen's Road East, Queen's Road Central and Queen's Road West.

No. 2 Queen's Road West is in Sheung Wan. No. 2 Queen's Road Central is in Central.

As you did not specify which part of Queen's Road you want, Google probably "guessed".

Why on earth did you not specify which part you wanted? You would have saved yourself some hassle from the "operator error".

you can also get Mapking for your phone if it has GPS

Smile Different opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Queen's Road is a long road, sectioned into three: Queen's Road East, Queen's Road Central and Queen's Road West.

No. 2 Queen's Road West is in Sheung Wan. No. 2 Queen's Road Central is in Central.

As you did not specify which part of Queen's Road you want, Google probably "guessed".

Why on earth did you not specify which part you wanted? You would have saved yourself some hassle from the "operator error".
    Hi Claire,

A slight improvement in implementation can help end users such as Football16.

If it's a potentially confusing address, why would a mapping software "guess" instead of suggesting a few options for the user to choose from?

Clearly this is a simple bug/missing feature in Google Maps (HK) and they don't really expect everyone to know there are 3 segments of Queen's Road.

Google

Google Maps seems to have every street in DB listed.