Realtor pushing back on renting in DB - Pls advise

Realtor pushing back on renting in DB - Pls advise

Hi all - I will be moving to HK with my wife and 18 month old toddler in mid - end of February. We have our heart set on Discovery Bay - not in small part thanks to the great info posted here! Unfortunately, the real estate company my firm contracts with told me today that DB is not an option for me because the apartments there are individually owned and not serviced. I'm supposed to live in a serviced apartment on HK Island.

Can anyone tell me how to go about finding a landlord on DB? I'm having a tough time finding ads anywhere online. I'm in the States and will not get a housing trip. The lease contract would be for 12 months and go through the real estate agency. Does anyone have experience with bringing two such parties together?

Any advice on how to make this work would be much appreciated!!!

I could be wrong here, but I was under the impression that the Chianti complex had serviced luxury apartments in Discovery Bay.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0TQGlmecpI"]YouTube - Chianti exhibits prestige living[/ame]

The 1900 ish square foot Penthouse/duplex apartments are quiet nice and spacious.....judging by this short SCMP promo clip on the interior designer.

http://www.chianti.com.hk

Last edited by Skyhook; 21-01-2009 at 08:42 PM.

I know of someone who is looking after a friend's apartment with the view of renting it out with the service of a part-time hellper who would drop by regularly to clean the place. Interested?

I found a serviced appt in DB pretty easily when I was looking - ended up not going for it, but it there appeared to be many. They were of the type that an individual owner was renting the appt furnished with some maid service, rather than a whole block of serviced appartments but it seemed much the same in effect.

You could try ringing up some estate agents in DB and talking to them and then putting them in touch with your agent if anything sounds good. I suspect that what is happened is that your company has signed up an agent who exclusively deals with HKI and has no interest in sharing the commission with anyone else. So all you really need to do is highlight this to the company, point out that DB is considerably cheaper than HKI and that you are doing them a favour by looking there and see if you can get the policy changed to use a different agent!

Last edited by MovingIn07; 21-01-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Skyhook and MovingIn07 - Very interesting! Thanks for the info. I do wonder now if there is a commission issue involved here. I will look for some realtors in DB. I don't even care if the apartment is serviced or not. I think getting my company to not work with these realtors will be tough because it's convenient for them and eliminates the unknown. Hopefully I can change their mind.

dbsmitten - If you want to private me more details, I'd certainly take a closer look.

hk09 - I sent you a pm

skyhook - this is one of the wonderfully "imaginative" fantasies our dear developers come up when they want to sell flats...
    You pay dearly for the concierge service, the limousine service has been discontinued 6 months ago... the list goes on