DB Kayakers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DB Kayakers?

Hello DB'ers,

I notice there are a lot of kayaks stored towards the (East) end of Tai Pak Bay, and some paddles stored in the shed.

Is there a club of some sort? (kayak, not out-riggers) I also have my own kayak, have been away from the water for a while and would like to get back in shape. If you know of a kayak club in DB, or if you own one of those boats and want to get together for wet practices (rolling, re-entry rills, swimmer to canoe rescues...), or if you want to plan a day trip / camping trip with kayaks, please get in touch.

I've circumnavigated Lantau a few years ago in an old fiberglass kayak. If you can break camp at the crack of dawn, you can do it in two days launching from DB. I'm planning to do another circumnavigate Lantau towards the end of March this year. Any takers?

-Cordelia

Hi Cordelia,
    that sounds great is it ok to be a kayaking newbie (I've been twice before when I was much younger) if so please consider me as a wiliing volunteer Kindest regards, Saqib

Hello Squid,

Interesting handle name, I love all sea creatures great and small

Newbies welcomed, of course. Do you have your own kayak and gears? (dry bag, kayak, paddle, PFD/life jacket, spray deck, whistle)

If so, and if you don't mind getting really really wet, I suggest we spend 30 minutes or so working together in Tai Pak Wan on some basic stuff, like a wet exit and assisted reentry -- don't worry, all you need to do is to capsize your kayak and stay calm while I help you get back in, and visa versa Then we can make some comfortable, short day trips.

If you don't have a kayak, unfortunately, you need to find a place to rent one first.

I know there is a club in Approach Beach (Atlantic Sports), which is close enough for me to paddle from DB to join you. Not sure if they speak English, but they seem to offer to rent out kayaks:

http://www.asa.org.hk/03_cose.htm

Also, there is are some old threads here that talked about kayak rentals in HKSAR:

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread24017.html
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread26713.html

Last edited by thisdress; 02-02-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Hi there! My husband and I are also interested in kayaking as well. I can't seem to find any info about hiring a kayak on that website you posted.

In regards to kayaking around here, any tips? Keep track of the ferries and boats, but how about the water?

Hi Ntah,

Confirmed that anybody with cash and ID can rent a kayak in Hoi Ha Wan of Sai Kung.

But do so at your own peril. Hoi Ha water is usually pretty flat, but if you venture out to anywhere east of Grass Island (aka Tap Mun, which is only about 4km from Hoi Ha), and especially past Ko Lau Wan, water can get really rough, especially a few days after the full moon or the new moon, and/or with strong east/ northeast wind. One of my kayaks sank near Cheung Tsui (aka Tai Long Tsui) two weeks ago; the current and swells were so strong, my friend couldn't get back into his boat despite regular rescue and reentry practices for years.

There are numerous organizations (Tuen Mun Canoe Club, Dolphin Canoe Club, HK Canoe Union, Atlantic Sport Association, My Canoe Club...) that offer training courses in kayaking. Three days of training (if you pass their tests) would give you the certificate required to rent a kayak from a HKCU-approved club, government sport centers, and the boy scouts/ girl guide facilities.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I didn't mean heading out that far. I meant only paddling around DB or certain areas of Lantau, staying close to the shore. We have done a kayaking course, so we are quite comfortable with the sport. I wanted to know more specifically the waters/tides around DB, and the coast of Lantau. Any advice?

Contact the Lantau Boat Club, they are are friendly bunch located at the North end of the DB beach. Here is the link: Lantau Boat Club - Home

Apologies, I didn't realize you're on DB. Yeah, contact the LBC, their members have a lot of kayaks on Tai Pak. There is also a notice board in Nim Shue Wan that says "Canoe/Kayak for rent" (in Chinese though) with a phone number you can call.

Hi ntah,

We are guys paddling around Ping Chau every Sunday. We have old kayaks share with you(4-5). No cash and ID needed.

CK Ho.

Hi ntah, thisdress (long time no talk, Lia, how you been?) et al,

I have never paddled around DB, but the water seems pretty calm, not sure about the current though.

Since you asked about Lantau, there is a beach in southern Lantau called Cheung Sha Beach (Upper and Lower). There is a small rental place for kayaks and windsurf boards at Lower Cheung Sha Beach, called Long Coast Seasports. I don't have the number or website at hand but if you google them, you'll get their website for sure.

I have paddled there twice and while they're really helpful there and there is a life guard post on Upper Cheung Sha, which is less crowded, the sea is choppy, especially off Upper Cheung Sha Beach. However, it doesn't seem like something more experienced paddlers can't handle.

Thissdress, still got to tell you about the first time I went there, so let's catch up sometime.

Cheers,

Shakermaker
    Posted via Mobile Device

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast