Ridiculous Prices

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think there's a limit to how much you can overcharge someone for something before it becomes daylight robbery. I bought Vanity Fair at repulse bay wellcome one day without looking at the price. It is pretty much the only mag I buy every month. Got home and saw the sticker price was $95! Holy cow I was fuming. I normally get it from Taste in Stanley for $65. Now that's a massive mark up.

But Taste in Stanley is just as dodgy. You absolutely have to watch how they ring up the items. They like to get the numbers wrong so the other day i was buying some cheap chinese greens that sold for $6 or so yet they rang up as $45 because they'd put the wrong code on somewhere along the line. (they came up as spinach instead) I'm pretty sure it's deliberate as every 2-3 shops there is something wrong with my shopping docket. Imagine how much extra money they make not just from charging people more for things than you can get at the shop next door but for incorrectly pricing things that most people won't pick up on. Bloody hell.

When we leave HK the grocery stores will be the last thing I feel nostalgic about!

I know in Australia this is common practice. The same chain of supermarkets will vary their prices in the same city depending on surrounding social demographic and competitors locations, amongst other things. It is very common and prices vary markedly between suburbs.

The best you can do is vote with your money - purchase most of your items at other stores.

...so we are looking at the prices of our grocery bills now are we...? Sure sign of tightening of belts. Have to say I am pay more attention than perhaps I did a year or so ago.

I am pretty ok with a shop charging whatever they like for their stock as long as it is clearly marked. It makes sense than Great in Pacific Place charges more than PnS in Pui O. We have the choice to not buy.

On the subject of magazines, the missus has noted that the western magazines seem to be dropping in price. She assumes this is because they are lighter and the postage must be less. Nice of the shops to pass on the saving if this is indeed the case.

My favourite mag is EVO which is close to an English Tenner at the moment. Yikes. So I have not bought it recently.

Last edited by Meerkat; 13-06-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Always keep a beady eye on the cash register, as my most memorable markup came when my $5 onions became $45 potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkat:
    My favourite mag is EVO which is close to an English Tenner at the moment. Yikes. So I have not bought it recently.
    HMV is the cheapest place I have found to buy EVO - $65.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile:
    HMV is the cheapest place I have found to buy EVO - $65.
    nice Croc. thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Muffy:
    What I meant was the disparity between the prices in the supermarket at Element and here in Tung Chung. There is a $5 difference on 1 item alone. Understanding in most cases in HK expensive prices are due to expensive rent but surely Element if not as expensive but even higher in rental cost. I lived in TC for a few years now. Before TXXXX comes along it used to be Pk shop. After the transformation for the same merchanidises, they are marked up 20% and for what? No additional service, can't even take the trolley out to the lift lobby or downstairs to the carpark.
    Once upon a time in their outlet in Festi, they even boast valet service (assistance to load your car) and nothing in TC.
    I guess you mean Taste. Why do you write TXXXX? I very much doubt they'll sue you for libel.

By the way, it's almost always cheaper to shop in local shops and Chinese-style supermarkets.

you have to watch out for sneaky promos too

one common practice for supermarkets is to mark up prices, and then put a promo like a buy 2 for the price of one.

ie. fabric conditioner regular - normally 14-15 dollars
    price during a promotion - buy 2 at 29.90

ie for 5 Liter water, normal price 15-16 dollars
    price during promo, HK22 for one, but if you buy two, you just pay 1 dollar for the 3rd bottle. average price 15 dollars.

Supermarkets charge what they think they can get away with. That's not just a hong kong thing, either, you'll find the same in the UK too.

It's not called cheating, it's called business. Your options are either to put up with it, or find other places to shop. Why not try the supermarket in Maritime square at Tsing Yi, or change at Lai King onto the Tsuen Wan line and use the PnS at Kwai Fong? The cheapest place to shop is always in the local wet markets but not sure where the nearest one is to you and if you work long hours they're often closed by 8pm so not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Katiedot:
    Supermarkets charge what they think they can get away with. That's not just a hong kong thing, either, you'll find the same in the UK too.

It's not called cheating, it's called business. Your options are either to put up with it, or find other places to shop. Why not try the supermarket in Maritime square at Tsing Yi, or change at Lai King onto the Tsuen Wan line and use the PnS at Kwai Fong? The cheapest place to shop is always in the local wet markets but not sure where the nearest one is to you and if you work long hours they're often closed by 8pm so not ideal.
    but not to the same extent, eg, uk has watch dog and trading standards, in hk, it's not surprising if we see buy 3 get 2 offers as park'n'shop and wellcome has possible 70% market share, eg oligopoly market.