Discovery Bay for Young Family?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Discovery Bay for Young Family?

Discovery Bay?
    Hi everyone, my family is moving from the USA to Hong Kong by 1 January 2010 and we are interested in Discovery Bay. We are a "young" family with a 5 year old and hoping for more children. I am leaning towards Discovery Bay for quality of life without a car, daily conveniences, etc. However, we have heard my husband's commute could be a nightmare.

My husband will be traveling to the airport, mainland, Kowloon, Wan Chai, and Science Park about 50% of his time. Is commuting really a nightmare from DB?

Can anyone list the pros and cons to living in Discovery Bay.

Thanks for your help!

After Tung Chung, DB is the nearest location to the airport. Approximate travel time is 30 mins by airport bus which runs twice every hour (on the hour and half-past).

I travel to Kowloon (East Tsim Sha Tsui) and back everyday, and door-to-door is approximately 45 - 50 mins, and sometimes 40 mins if I do not have to wait long for the train.

The direct trains to Mainland China can be taken from Hung Hom Station (one stop after East Tsim Sha Tsui).

Wan Chai is easy to get to, again door-to-door about 45 mins or so as the ferry to Central is 25 - 30 mins and a taxi will get you from Central to Wan Chai within 10 mins taking into account traffic, lights, etc.

Not sure about the Science Park, is it the Cyberport? That will take longer because it is in the Island South District so we're looking at roughly 20 mins or more by taxi FROM CENTRAL (after you get off the ferry from DB).

Last edited by Dreadnought; 06-11-2009 at 02:24 PM.

the science park is out near tai po/ma on shan.... but that doesn't have to be too bad a commute either. he could MTR it to tsing yi, then catch a taxi. would be about $130 one way....

as a mum of 2 who used to live in db, i can HIGHLY recommend it. although it may mean some commuting for hubby, the lifestyle for the wife would be much easier. there are plenty of things to keep kids occupied, but the only problem may be schooling (that could be a problem anywhere in hk, though)

I work at the science park and live in db. To go there by public transport takes 1 hour 30~40 min. Fastest way is to go by bus to sunny bay, take the train to lai king, change to subway to go to kowloon tong, then train again to shatin then a mini bus to the science park. It is quite a journey because of all the transfer. A taxi from science park to the db tunnel would cost around hkd 260.

JC -
    I'm planning to move from USA to DB with my husband and daughter in Feb 2010. Have you guys done a look-see yet? We flew out for one in late October, and visited DB though didn't have time to look at any flats. If you have any advice or insight, you'll have to pass it on!

Thank you! This is a huge help and I appreciate the information.

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the help. We have narrowed it down to Tai Tam vs. Discovery Bay. We have not viewed Discovery Bay yet but continuing to research the area. Cheers!

The bigger problem you will have in DB is finding a school for your 5yo. If you can afford the $300,000 queue jumping fee, then no problem. Otherwise your 5yo will be commuting quite far every day. I think this is a bigger problem than your husbands commute.

Other parts of HK do not have such ridiculously long waiting lists for schools. Some schools do, but there are many alternatives that dont. In DB, you are stuck with only 2 schools that have waiting lists for many years.

Schools are a big problem here. Coming from the US, unless your kids are already in private schools, the closest experience will be applying for college. Honestly, we visited more kindergartens than colleges and that includes undergrad and grad for both parents combined. Application fees, deadlines, interviews, waiting lists, etc.... Just like applying for college.
    Personally, we did not want to send our child on long school commutes but to each his own.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast