Like Tree1Likes

Would we like Tung Chung?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hello Singapura

I am a singaporean living in TC. I prefer to be away from the crowd so this area works for me but of late there has been an increase in the weekend tourist crowd going up to visit the Big Buddha so something for you to consider. Another option base on your budget, you can consider the appartments near Qlympic City 1 and 2...these are units above the Qlympic MTR station in Kowloon and very close to Central.

Olympic... not Qlympic

Singapura -- your budget is pretty good, you can do a lot with 20-25k! Are you sure you want to limit your area search to Tung Chung?

If it's space you want, Tung Chung is a good option. The size is really great and with your budget you may even be able to get a 2-storey flat. Our flat is 1,200 (3 bed, 2 bath) and rent is $10,000. That kind of space/price is very hard to find anywhere else in HKG.

What's also nice is the apartment complexes all have pools, tennis courts, gyms and so on. It's great to have the amenities right downstairs.

The MTR is fine, not that bad in the mornings in my opinion. 99% of the time I am able to get a seat, and then it's a comfortable 30 minute ride to town with my book.

Getting from Hong Kong Station to your office in IFC would be very very easy. Just up the escalator and you're there.

The downside of Tung Chung -- as it's a new development, the whole area is pretty much nothing but mega high rises and concrete. It's a bit dull in terms of ambiance. Sure you have a view of the sea from your apartment, but it's not a particularly pretty view.

There are also very few restaurants, and non-existant nightlife. Unless you make a lot of friends who also live in Tung Chung, you will probably do most of your fun social things in Central.

You should also check out Discovery Bay. Lived there for 2 years and it's a beautiful place and with your budget you can find a nice place there. Lots of hiking, good access to the outdoors. Feels like a real neighborhood. I also quite liked the little kai-to boat that popped around to other bays and other islands. We moved to TC because the TC flats are way bigger. But, I do miss the nicer scenery in DB. The ferry is also way more civilised than the MTR.

If you can, come to HKG for a week, and go visit the areas. It's the best way to know.

You could also check out Park Island. Also one of the ferry-service islands.

"No "little shops" or cafes or anything interesting", if u have to live in HK, that is something u have to get use to, because only large chain restaurent could afford to pay the rent, no room for "interesting thing"....

Quote Originally Posted by jmom:
    "No "little shops" or cafes or anything interesting", if u have to live in HK, that is something u have to get use to, because only large chain restaurent could afford to pay the rent, no room for "interesting thing"....
    Plenty stuff aoround. You just have to look.

Plenty of stuff around TC too. Hop on a bike and go eplore Tung Chung Road.

Zentro Garden is a nice spot at Seaview Crescent, though rather expensive.