User Menu
    Control Panel
    Private Messages
    Subscribed Topics
    Upload Classified
    View Profile
    Search

Advertisers

Hong Kong > Hong Kong Forum > Hong Kong Forums > Hong Kong District Forums > Sai Kung

Show Threads Show Posts
    Tag Search
    Advanced Search
    Find All Thanked Posts

Quick Links
    Today's Posts
    Mark Forums Read
    Open Contacts Popup
    Networking
    Contacts & Friends
    Social Groups
    Pictures & Albums
    User Control Panel
    Edit Your Details
    Edit Options
    Miscellaneous
    Private Messages
    Subscribed Threads
    Your Profile

Go to Page...

What do you think of Sai Kung?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

View First Unread Tools Search

#11 01-03-2006, 05:40 AM
    Expatriate
    has not updated his/her status. Join Date: Nov 2005

Sai Kung is a nice place. It only takes up to two hours to Central, but not everybody works there.

And if you love dogs, you will love Sai Kung - there is always a dog barking near you and when one stops, the other starts. In Winter you can sleep with open windows and can save on the alarm clock - any dog will wake you up.

The village houses are very cheap. You can hear your neighbors very well, when they pee, when they have sex, when they burp, or slip-slop around the house.

Otherwise it's quite nice. A good mix of any Nationality on Earth.

Expatriate
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Expatriate
    Find all posts by Expatriate
    Add Expatriate to Your Contacts

#12 01-03-2006, 08:51 AM
    jimbo
    is ?????? Join Date: Oct 2005

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expatriate
    Sai Kung is a nice place. It only takes up to two hours to Central, but not everybody works there.

Two hours? You must be joking right?

Usually only an hour or so and thats if you get either the hang hau or choi hung mini bus and mtr it from there.

jimbo
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to jimbo
    Find all posts by jimbo
    Add jimbo to Your Contacts

#13 02-03-2006, 06:25 AM
    Expatriate
    has not updated his/her status. Join Date: Nov 2005

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimbo
    Two hours? You must be joking right?

Usually only an hour or so and thats if you get either the hang hau or choi hung mini bus and mtr it from there.

That is right, if you live at the bus terminal - from there 25min Sai Kung to Choi Hung. Add some walking time and some waiting time in the morning when all busses are full and you don't get on at the terminal. When it rains, so maybe half a year, everything takes a little longer anyway.

Or you get a car. So, it's less than 2 hours, or up to two hours which is basically the same.

Mini-Busses from Mong Kok and Choi Hung run all night, which is practical.

Expatriate
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to Expatriate
    Find all posts by Expatriate
    Add Expatriate to Your Contacts

#14 02-03-2006, 08:11 AM
    HKNewBi
    is updated. Join Date: Sep 2005

Or have you considered south Lantau? Much cheaper than Sai Kung and Disco bay and 25 mins by ferry to Central. Plenty of greenery here, and a swimming pool that is perpetually empty, along with the gym and squash courts.

HKNewBi
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to HKNewBi
    Find all posts by HKNewBi
    Add HKNewBi to Your Contacts

#15 05-03-2006, 12:33 PM
    HKNewBi
    is updated. Join Date: Sep 2005

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sofia vaz pinto
    Does 'Central' mean the central district in Hong Kong Island?

Yes it does.

HKNewBi
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to HKNewBi
    Find all posts by HKNewBi
    Add HKNewBi to Your Contacts

#16 05-03-2006, 01:37 PM
    HKChigger
    is HKChigger Join Date: Feb 2006

Quote:
    Does 'Central' mean the central district in Hong Kong Island? If it is so, would these travelling times from Sai Kung be shorter to Harbour City?

Harbour City is the tip of Kowloon in Tsim Sha Tsui, a huge shopping center with all kinds of other things in and around it. It is just as far away as central. From Harbour City u can take the Star Ferry to Central (5 minutes) So really Central and Harbour City will be almost the same commute give or take 5 minutes.

HKChigger
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to HKChigger
    Find all posts by HKChigger
    Add HKChigger to Your Contacts

#17 21-03-2006, 09:53 PM
    mcdh
    has not updated his/her status. Join Date: Feb 2006

what will the rent rate be?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what will the rent rate be for a small apartment in the town? my wife and I are thinking of moving to Sai Kung. We don't have a car, and don't plan to buy one either, so we'll live in the town. and we are thinking of one-bedroom apartment.

mcdh
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to mcdh
    Find all posts by mcdh
    Add mcdh to Your Contacts

#18 21-03-2006, 09:57 PM
    jimbo
    is ?????? Join Date: Oct 2005

The places right in the middle of town are not that umm nice you're better off in one of the village houses just outside, plenty of cheap minibuses etc into the town centre will cost you $4 each way thats all.

your typical floor in a village house will cost you approximately $6000 a month thats what we pay for a 700 sq ft place with two bedrooms which is less than 10 minutes from the town centre.

jimbo
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to jimbo
    Find all posts by jimbo
    Add jimbo to Your Contacts

#19 Today, 08:26 PM
    fair3
    has not updated his/her status. Edit Join Date: Mar 2010

We are moving to HK and we need your help, Thanks!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, My husban, 3 year old daughter and dog will be moving to Hong Kong in January 2011.
    I am looking to move into an area that is friendly, family oriented, residential feel to it and safe. Also, some grass, parks,westeners etc.

I was looking into DB or the Sai Kung area but I also heard that Pok Fu Lam was a nice area to look into.

Can anyone please provide me with some help??
    What are the pros and cons between DB, Sai Kung and Pok Fu Lam?

Another question I have is what do you all think about the American International School?
    Any other International school that you can recommend?

Is Pok Fu Lam close to AIS?

Anyone knows if Kowloon Tong is a residential area? Our budget to buy is no more than 10 million HK

Quote Originally Posted by fair3:
    Hello, My husban, 3 year old daughter and dog will be moving to Hong Kong in January 2011.
    I am looking to move into an area that is friendly, family oriented, residential feel to it and safe. Also, some grass, parks,westeners etc.

I was looking into DB or the Sai Kung area but I also heard that Pok Fu Lam was a nice area to look into.

Can anyone please provide me with some help??
    What are the pros and cons between DB, Sai Kung and Pok Fu Lam?

Another question I have is what do you all think about the American International School?
    Any other International school that you can recommend?

Is Pok Fu Lam close to AIS?

Anyone knows if Kowloon Tong is a residential area? Our budget to buy is no more than 10 million HK
    (I've quoted what I think you wrote and removed all the random pasted stuff!)

DB and Sai Kung are two of the best areas for dogs, with easy access to open space, countryside etc. But the down side is that they are some way from Central. So which is convenient depends on where you and/or your husband will work and where your daughter will go to school. Kowloon Tong is a quite upmarket residential area.

Pok Fu Lam is about the same distance (in terms of travelling time) from AIS as DB (i.e. quite a lot). Sai Kung (depending on exactly where in Sai Kung) is slightly closer.

For schools I think one of the key questions is which curriculum system you want you daughter to be educated in. Many follow the International Baccalaureate system, others the system of some specific country.

Since you obviously know nothing of HK or its layout I would strongly recommend renting a place for your first year and getting a feel for what's where and so on, rather than diving in and spending HK$10M buying somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    (I've quoted what I think you wrote and removed all the random pasted stuff!)

DB and Sai Kung are two of the best areas for dogs, with easy access to open space, countryside etc. But the down side is that they are some way from Central. So which is convenient depends on where you and/or your husband will work and where your daughter will go to school. Kowloon Tong is a quite upmarket residential area.

Pok Fu Lam is about the same distance (in terms of travelling time) from AIS as DB (i.e. quite a lot). Sai Kung (depending on exactly where in Sai Kung) is slightly closer.

For schools I think one of the key questions is which curriculum system you want you daughter to be educated in. Many follow the International Baccalaureate system, others the system of some specific country.

Since you obviously know nothing of HK or its layout I would strongly recommend renting a place for your first year and getting a feel for what's where and so on, rather than diving in and spending HK$10M buying somewhere.
    Posted via Mobile Device