Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fiona in HKG

Apartment hunting DB

Closed Thread

Apartment hunting DB

All,

I'm apologising in advance as I'm sure this has been done to death on this forum but ....

I'm moving to HK end of July. Have a young baby and 2 dogs so DB is the obvious choice. What I'm looking for is an apartment complex with swimming pool and club area (if thats what its called), which is pet friendly and on the bus route or walking distance to the ferry. Price wise I'm looking for a 2bed under 20k a month. Is all this even possible?

Can someone please suggest possible apartment complexes that may suit if it is possible. Much appreciated

Thx
    BigFrogMan

i dont think your criteria fits DB as they only have generic club houses, not specific ones in the apartment complexes (though the two club houses can be close depending where you live).

my suggestion would be park island if i were you

Two bed under/around 20k should be doable.

I looked at both Park Island and DB before making my move and found DB to have more access to nature and less crowds...Park Island had a very 'hollow' feel to it, and a lot less greenery around the complex. The apartment blocks are very closely built whereas in DB they are more spread out in 'villages' with a lot of green in between.

I must admit that I had my dog in mind when choosing DB over Park Island.

Added - for housing, I'm in DB in a lovely two bedroom in a highrise with amazing views, a usable balcony (not a standing room only one), very quiet, smallish kitchen but all mod-cons in it, close to ferry and plaza and a clubhouse with tennis courts, pools, etc., if I chose to join. I found my apartment through Ray at Century 21, if that helps.

Last edited by Fiona in HKG; 30-04-2010 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Some additional apartment information
    bigfrogman likes this.

Thanks Fiona, thats brilliant. Really appreciate your help

When I looked in DB I just walked into one of the agents offices near the ferry terminal and he took me around to see 5 or 6 places. I ended up going for the Gold Coast (which would also fit your criteria I think, but is further from Central) but found that pretty much everywhere in DB is accessible and there are a variety of different styles/prices etc that would be best viewed in person. My tour lasted only a few hours, so it's perfectly feasible to see enough of DB to get a feel for it in less than one day.

GIven the size of the place, sharing the one clubhouse is probably fine (I think the other one is only for people in the marina? could be wrong).

Clubs in DB:

• Residents Club
    • Siena Club
    • Marina Club
    • Golf Cub

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    i dont think your criteria fits DB as they only have generic club houses, not specific ones in the apartment complexes (though the two club houses can be close depending where you live).

my suggestion would be park island if i were you
    I thought the newest complex out in DB does have its own clubhouse & pool. I believe it's called Chianti. (Please correct me if I'm wrong; it's been a couple years and I may have misremembered.)

When we lived out in DB, we chose to live in Midvale Village, which is right up the hill from the DB pier and Residents Club. It's quite convenient for walking and the buses were never too full. 700-800 sqft two bedroom flats were roughly 15K last year.
    Last edited by jahoga; 03-05-2010 at 11:42 AM.

Chianti has a pool only. But no clubhouse.

bigfrogman -- be warned, personally i find that in DB you pay through the nose for the use of the clubs (i lived there for 2 years). but then again, if $20,000 is your budget, you should have no problem forking out the $800 for the monthly club/gym/pool etc. fees....

have you thought about tung chung? you can get a 3 bedroom for way less than $20,000. caribbean coast is dog friendly and there are LOADS of babies too so your wife and kids will have good company. lots of walking paths, places to play outside, jungle gyms, etc. and for me one of the best things is you also have access to the club house and all the facilities without even having to pay a monthly fee or a joining fee. during the week the facilities (gym, pool, tennis, etc.) are just $10. goes up to $20 on the weekends but it's still peanuts compared to what you would pay in DB.