Like Tree7Likes

Has Anyone had Acupuncture?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Has Anyone had Acupuncture?

and more specifically, did it hurt?

I tried it a few times in Australia with an Aussie practitioner and it was painless (apart from the time he forgot to remove one from my sole and I stood on it!!)

Anyway, I bought a 10 session package from a reputable clinic in Causeway Bay and have been 7 times.

Every time is painful. The needle going in is painful - like an injection, then he twiddles it about which often sends a shooting pain through my body and often an involuntary jerking reaction. Taking them out is also painful. He twiddles them again to vibrate the points.

He keeps telling me the pain is normal and means it is working.

Today, 2 (of the 16) needles hurt the whole of the relaxation time as well.

The treatment has had some (but not excellent) benefit so in one way would like to finish the course.

Can anyone share their experiences, or recommend another practitioner?

Thanks

Yes, I've had acupuncture from a local practioner. And mine also twists the needles at regular intervals which is supposed to help stimulate your meridien points. Doing so also sends shooting pains through me or a numbness around the area where the needle is.

Was told that if I didn't feel any reactions when he fiddled with the needles, it meant my system was really clogged up and the chi wasn't flowing.....

Anyhow, would definitely not link acupunture with 'relaxation time' as its not relaxing. As even he the practioner didn't twist the needles, everytime you fidget or move to a more comfortable position, the needles will send shooting pains! Guess you should value it for its medicinal/health properties instead.

I did mine back home, not here. Yes, it did bother me a bit, but it's not painful. When there is a "blockage", you will feel a little bit of pain, but it's not supposed to be strong pain.

Why not just walk on nails. lol. All kidding aside, it does work. Eons ago I had a sports injury treated and it worked out fine. Would be more concerned about the cleanliness of the needles.

I've started having acupuncture in Wan Chai lately but don't feel much pain when the needles are going in/out (I usually fall asleep while having treatments). Almost no pains, but it's still working out fine.

About the cleanliness of the needles, all needles are customized for that clinic and thrown away after use.

The best 2 accupuncturists I ever had were both in the US and both westerners. There was no pain but an annoying gnawing sort of sensatioin.

I've been to 2 here and was really not happy - it is an area that is as much science as it is feel and the last 2 just seemed to lack a good sense of touch.

Almost forgot. A super dr I went to at Chiva Som in Thailand was tops too.

In the West, acupuncture is promoted as being more of a relaxing treatment, and a much more gentle approach is used. However, in Asia, treatment is much more aggressive, and the acupuncturist will 'twiddle' until the patient feels the energy flow. In Asia, acupuncture is not meant to feel comfortable or relaxing, and many acupuncturists will tell you that if its not hurting, it's not working. Even very experienced China-trained acupuncturists working abroad in US clinics are told to tone down their treatments to adapt to Western client expectations of zero discomfort.

Unless you find someone who adopts the same toned down approach in Asia, I think most treatments will be somewhat uncomfortable.

I do know that the Japanese style is a lot lighter in approach than the Chinese style, inherently, so if anyone can track down a Japanese trained acupuncturist, the discomfort will probably be a lot less than the Chinese style treatment.

Actually, I'm used to the Western/Japanese approach where there's much less sensation in general - if anyone knows of any Japanese practiioners or non-painful local acupuncturists who uses disposable needles, I'd be really interested too.

Last edited by z754103; 09-08-2006 at 10:07 PM.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Everything I had seen on the web suggested it should be relatiively pain free, but I guess western style is watered down a bit.

Maybe I should look into acupressure.....

I don't think it's watered down at all. Always worked for me.

Acupuncture should not be painful. However, we should get certain sensation such as dullness, pins and needles or numbness and it is what we so called "De Qi". You may wonder if it is better feeling such "De Qi" sensation or not, and the answer is "if there are no De Qi, not much therapeutic feel would be gained".

What is more, there are many many types of acupuncture method in the world. The Chinese type is based on Chinese Medicine diagnosis and Meridian system. The Five elements method is developed from Five elements theory of Chinese Medicine philosophy. Dry needling is a method stimulating muscle tigger points and focuses mainly on muscle origin pain. The preference of methods would be based on your medical complaint.

Acupuncture is a safe and effective treatment for pain and dysfunctional medical problems. Hope the answer help you understanding more about acupuncture

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast