Like Tree10Likes

Know of any HOMOEOPATHS, Anyone??

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Fair comments Mr. Shri but it's still water!
    As long as its filtered

Not sure where you are in the NT, but the Quality Healthcare medical centre we went to in Tuen Mun listed 'chinese medicine' as well as western medicine as the list of what they did (I think chinese medicine is homeopathy, yes?)

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    (I think chinese medicine is homeopathy, yes?)
    Not quite, the treatment uses medicines where it is unlikely that a single molecule of the active ingredient is in the dosage.

Homeopathic dilutions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

>> I think chinese medicine is homeopathy

No. Different philosophies. Ayurvedic medicine from India would be similar to Chinese medicine. Homeopathy is a very different beast.

Some work .. some don't ... placebo effects or miracles or actual cures... call it what you want, at the end of the day different things work for different people.

Growing up in India, I've been treated with Ayurvedic medicine (home cures), Homeopathy (chronic conditions) and Allopathy (fevers etc) and for whatever reason, they all seemed to work for the different conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Not sure where you are in the NT, but the Quality Healthcare medical centre we went to in Tuen Mun listed 'chinese medicine' as well as western medicine as the list of what they did (I think chinese medicine is homeopathy, yes?)
    I know I said I'd stay out of it, but I can't resist.

Homeopathy and Chinese medicine don't really have anything in common (as far as I can tell). Homeopathy follows a very definite set of principles which sets it apart from just about anything else.

Two key ones are the law of similars, and the concept of dilution. The basic idea here is that to make a cure for a symptom, you find a substance that causes the symptom you wish to cure, and then you dilute it by amounts so astronomical that none of the original substance remains in the solution.

An example would be that to cure insonmia, you take a caffeine solution and then repeatedly dilute it until it is pure water, and then administer to the patient. Highly creative justifications are given as to why this might work (e.g. water having memory effects, quantum mechanics, etc).
    Last edited by jgl; 13-08-2010 at 05:45 PM.

Shri-something else you may like to look up is in the UK this year the government was thinking of banning homeopathic medicines, or at least severely restrict their sales on the basis that it was impossible to prove that any of them actually worked.

Load Toad likes this.

Don't go offending those homeopaths - they've got a bomb!

‘A homeopathic attack could bring entire cities to a standstill,’ said BBC Security Correspondent, Frank Gardner, ‘Large numbers of people could easily become convinced that they have been killed and hospitals would be unable to cope with the massive influx of the ‘walking suggestible’.’
    Load Toad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Shri-something else you may like to look up is in the UK this year the government was thinking of banning homeopathic medicines, or at least severely restrict their sales on the basis that it was impossible to prove that any of them actually worked.
    It wasn't a ban, it was a debate on whether the taxpayer should provide it on the NHS.

I hope the answer was no.