Elective cesarean in public hospital

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Elective cesarean in public hospital

Hi,
    I just found out I am having a 2nd baby. With my 1st, we went thru in United Christian. It was an emergency c-section.

My question is, can I have an elective c-section with UHC or any public hospital?
    If yes, at what week of the pregnancy usually a c-section will be carried out?

Many thanks.

Hi kkamca, as I understand it you can have an elective at any hospital; I think they usually do them about 2 weeks before your due date, providing everything goes to plan. Researching & posting on the geobaby forum will probably give you more answers than this one - Hong Kong Baby, Parenting and Pregnancy Community

actually, that is not quite true.

public hospitals will ONLY do c-sections if they are deemed MEDICALLY necessary. as it is perfectly possible to have a baby naturally after a c-section, they MAY not allow a c-section.

if you've had a previous c-section, they MAY allow it.

the only way you'll know is if you ask them personally.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    actually, that is not quite true.

public hospitals will ONLY do c-sections if they are deemed MEDICALLY necessary. as it is perfectly possible to have a baby naturally after a c-section, they MAY not allow a c-section.

if you've had a previous c-section, they MAY allow it.

the only way you'll know is if you ask them personally.

U can elect to have c-sections in public hospitals. They will ask you 3-4 months before the due date. It is my personal experience though I opted for normal delivery. My friend who went to public hospital was given two options and she chose c-section. Public hospitals do c-sections 2 weeks before the due date provided everything goes fine.

that is not my experience in the public system at all. granted, i had my kids almost 4 and 6 years ago.

We never had an option either and in fact they were adamant that they would only perform C-sections if there was a medical need. Ours were born 2007 and 2009 in PWH.
    Posted via Mobile Device

kkamca, I might be wrong then about being able to have it done in any hospital then. I am having an elective C-section at the PWH in November (though I do have a medical need); have an appointment with them in a couple of days so I'll ask what their regulations are.

It would be great if you could help me ask around about govt procedure. If haven't registered at any hospital yet. Your answer would help me decide which hospital to go to. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

QMH wrote on Geobaby earlier this year that elective c-sections are only available privately if not for medical issues. PWH is the same. In the report issued in June in regards to c-section rates in HK it mentioned that elective c-sections are not entertained in the public system.

It's easy to check, just call the Hospital Authority and they'll give you all the information you need.
    Posted via Mobile Device

From the little I know

I agree with what JayKay, carang, and others are saying.

In HK public hospitals, c-sections - an expensive, surgical procedure - are not considered a matter of personal choice.

The only time the OBS doctor(s) will bring up the topic during your antenatal check-ups with them is when they - and you - have to consider it because of a medical issue.

And, if it is not a major issue but perhaps a minor one that may resolve itself later on in the pregnancy, say, by 34 to 36 weeks (when a final decision and appt are usually made re delivery method), they'll inform you and follow up more rigorously on your progress, with further ultrasound scans etc, with the health and safety of the baby, as well as you, the mother, in mind. Once it's clear that a c-section is no longer necessary, they will advise so and take the option off the table, as it were.

BTW, congratulations - and all the best.

Last edited by emmie; 30-08-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast