Like Tree5Likes

Help! Need a place to relax!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Exclamation Help! Need a place to relax!

Hi there,

Coming from the UK, been here for 2 months, and struggling to get to grips with the hustle and bustle of the city. It seems that there is no place to relax, no place to rest, everything is do do do, everything is pressure and pressure. Please give me an idea of what I can do to relax physically and mentally.

Thank you!

I am a fellow brit too, I keep myself busy with sports cos it seems like the local doesnt like doing exercise, they prefer eating or walking very slowly on the pavement.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    I am a fellow brit too, I keep myself busy with sports cos it seems like the local doesnt like doing exercise, they prefer eating or walking very slowly on the pavement.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    sorry but your comment is just too funny!

Quote Originally Posted by joshglc123:
    Hi there,

Coming from the UK, been here for 2 months, and struggling to get to grips with the hustle and bustle of the city. It seems that there is no place to relax, no place to rest, everything is do do do, everything is pressure and pressure. Please give me an idea of what I can do to relax physically and mentally.

Thank you!
    have you tried going to a local church or temple?

Try getting out in the great countryside here with someone like these guys: Hong Kong Hiking Meetup Group (Hong Kong) - Meetup

It all depends what you like to do to relax!? :-)
    Am also a fellow Brit, personally on a sunny day I get a ferry to Lamma or Cheung Chau and take a stroll to the beach (can be busy, without the go go go, but regardless of how many people are around being by the water is very nourishing), hang out there and read a book....alternatively Shek O is a good spot on the Island... there is plenty of hiking if you like that type of thing. Obviously these are weekend options, and for the week there is Qi Gong, Tai Chi or similar classes or sports as WMDS suggests.

ALCOHOL is your friend.

Read below for why!!!!!

"A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo, and when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole is maintained, or even improved by the regular culling of the weakest members.

In much the same way, the human brain can operate only as fast as the slowest brain cells through which the electrical signals pass. Recent epidemiological studies have shown that while excessive intake of alcohol kills off brain cells, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. Thus, regular consumption of beer helps eliminate the weaker cells, constantly making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

The result of this in-depth study verifies and validates the causal link between all-weekend parties and job related performance. It also explains why, after a few short years of leaving a university and getting married, most professionals cannot keep up with the performance of the new graduates. Only those few who stick to the strict regimen of voracious alcoholic consumption can maintain the intellectual levels that they achieve during their college years.

So, this is a call to arms. As the world is losing its edge, we must not shudder in our homes. Get back into the bars. Quaff that pint. Your company and country need you to be at your peak, and you shouldn't deny yourself the career that you could have. Take life by the bottle and be all that you can be."

See you at the bar...

PSMaverick and sandyduncan like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Try getting out in the great countryside here with someone like these guys: Hong Kong Hiking Meetup Group (Hong Kong) - Meetup
    Meetup is great for a nice relaxing hike and also to meet people.

If you prefer some solitude, its also not too difficult to get away from it safely and all by yourself. Go get yourself the Countryside map for Hong Kong island (for hiking) or drop into a bookstore and pickup a good book for Hong Kong exploration (city and/or the hills) and then go and explore the city, slowly, quietly all by yourself. Its the best therapy out there and its also cheap.

My favorite starting point for a hike : Hop into a red taxi and ask the guy to go to Parkview. Just before you reach parkview, before the taxi turns right get off.

Look to your left, you'll see a bunch of stairs going up which will take you to Jardines Lookout and beyond.
    Look to your right, you'll see a bunch of stairs going up which will take you to Violet Hill and beyond.
    Look straight up the hill and you will see a gate beyond which you'll find TaiTam country park.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    ALCOHOL is your friend.
    Recent epidemiological studies have shown that while excessive intake of alcohol kills off brain cells, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.
    A good story, but just so no-one gets too excited, it is not medically correct.

Are you stressed when you are at home?
    You need to make your apartment your home - try improving that first.
    It will give you a refuge of your own and is a good place to start.

I'll second the hiking but would not recommend going on your own until the weather cools down abit - it can be dangerous if you get heat exhaustion. You can also try going to Macau and spending a weekend at the Westin (if you have the money - it's not cheap) but is one of the most relaxing places I know within a few hours of HK. Or take the ferry to Mui Wo and walk over the hill to Discovery Bay - both Mui Wo and DB are somewhat less frenetic than HK island and the walk between the two of them (circa 3 hours for the moderately fit) is a lovely one - peaceful and with great views.

Or you can try visiting one of the monasteries on the side of Lantau Peak on Lantau - there is a walk down from Nong Ping that goes through/past a few monasteries. I have had lunch in one before - no talking allowed! That might be an interesting and less noisy experience!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast