Dentist question

Closed Thread

Question Dentist question

Recently I saw a registered dentist for an exam and cleaning. (I got his name off of GeoExpat) He told me I needed 11 fillings to seal gaps due to gum recession. He didn't take x-rays, polish my teeth or check my tongue as is typically done in the US.
    Has anyone else encountered a similar situation during a 1st dental visit?

For a first time visit with no dental records to hand the least he should have done is take x-rays. It's an additional source of revenue for him too.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    For a first time visit with no dental records to hand the least he should have done is take x-rays. It's an additional source of revenue for him too.
    I sort of agree, but...

I'd daresay the qualified dentist has more experience with his line of work than we do. If he was asked to do a "check up", he seems to have done that. Xrays are only helpful if there is something the dentist thinks he will understand better by taking them. They are not the sole record used by dentists. As far as the cleaning goes, it may have been a communication error - where you charged for a cleaning? if so, go back and get it done

I think, as the "general public" we tend to pass judgements we are not qualified or experienced to make. I reckon go back and ask the dentist why he didn't do as you expected - maybe he did not realise what your expectations were? Also, take a sniff at some of the breathe in HK and i think you will find the "average" level of dental hygeine is not as you may be used to

True and I was answering as a HK resident used to dental practices here. A check-up is not just a visual and first-timers need that x-ray for a complete picture especially in light of the diagnosis given.

Smile

Thank-you Discobay and Dropdedfwed for taking the time to reply.
    Your responses are appreciated.

dear Tangroberta
    do you mind giving the name of the dentist to me? I need to find a dentist soon for my annual check-up and was thinking of going for one of those in geoexpat, but I don't really want to go to the one that you mentioned, so would really appreciate it. thxs

Dentist

Hi Mandy K,
    I saw Dr. Chak-Yan Pang in CWB. Good luck finding an honest, affordable and reputable dentist; I'm still looking.

previous recommendation

I saw this dentist in Central last week and was very impressed with the information he gave me about my teeth, how I should be cleaning and thoroughness of the scale and polish. when discussing a couple of issues with my teeth he had the opportunity to try and pull a fast one and didn't ..so that is a good sign for me.. Mind you I have never had private dental care before.

Previously recommended by Shri...

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Go see Dr Irma Shum at Gordon Chung Chui & Associates.

Rm 909 Tak Shing House
    20 Des Voeux Rd Central

Tel 21111369

They run the Dental Clinic at the Canossa Hospital and the clinic on Robinson Rd too.
    Good luck