Like Tree1Likes

constent phlegm/runny nose/coughing

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

constent phlegm/runny nose/coughing

I would really appreciate some advice. I have a 2yr 8month old and a 5 1/2 month old son. We just moved back after spending 2 years in the US to Bel-Air in Pokfulam for about 3 months. Both my sons have has extended colds and now although they both don't appear to you ill, still have runny nose (my older son) and constant coughing at night (the baby). My 2yr old has a runny nose all day long. My baby wakes up and you can hear so much phlegm in his throat when he coughs in the morning. My husband, who also spends most of his time at home, has post nasal drip. I am wondering if it is the air conditioner. I have an IQ air and another air filter running around the clock. And after moving back in, we had our air conditioners professionally cleaned. I personally don't have any problems but I do wake up occasionally with some phlegm. And to note, there has been some water works construction going on outside and we live on a low floor level. Have you had any similar conditions? Any doctors you would recommend that I visit? I am very stressed out about this!!

What colour is the phlegm?
    Dry coughing can mean the air is too dry thus you may need a humidifier
    Or try an air purifier in one of the rooms and see how you get on with that?

Oh and see a dr first.

I could have been writing this post! After 4 years in Northern Europe, we moved back to HK 3 months ago with a 21 month old toddler. We live in NT and we are having a similar problem with repeated runny nose, cough, phlegm. Two weeks ago, he had a deep/phlegm ridden cough and a visit to the doctor confirmed bronchitis for my son. After, medication the cough is gone but runny nose persists for him. I am suffering from severe colds (runny nose, sore throats etc) every 2nd-3rd week. It can't be the pollution, as son plays mostly in the nursery.

I am frustrated too. In Northern Europe where it is COLD 9 months of the year, we didn't succumb to such frequent colds. Having moved back to a tropical country (we used to live in HK before sans baby), I am not sure what's going on with us.

Pollution is a likely suspect, but so too are mold spores from bad air conditioners and a number of other childhood viruses that get spread in playrooms and schools and whatnot. Some expat parents even call it the "Hong Kong Cough" and it can seem to go on for weeks on end.

You can visit a doctor for some cough suppressant / cold treatments but also to ensure it's not something more serious. Giving them a cough medication to suppress the cough at night may help them sleep better getting some rest to help them recover.

My gal had no cough/flu issues when she was in Singapore , however when she came and started K1 last year she got a 3-6mth long period of intermittent flu symptoms. She was treated for allergic rhinnitis since then for a couple of months and had the issue more or less resolved. she still got on and off flu from her ! kindergarten pool of playmates but no more long runs so far. I suspect partially it was due to the polluted air of HK !!!!

For sinus issues due to air polution, try a nettie pot. It'll take some getting use to, but people swear by it.

Nasal irrigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nettie Pot, Neti Pot, Sinus Cleansing Pots

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousReader:
    I suspect partially it was due to the polluted air of HK !!!!
    Just to make sure I get this right - you believe that there are more flu viruses polluting the air in Hong Kong than in Singapore?

i suspect you have the same thing as my niece ----> allergy - specifically allergic rhinitis

"Allergic rhinitis is a collection of symptoms, mostly in the nose and eyes, which occur when you breathe in something you are allergic to, such as dust, dander, or pollen."

Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis

Characteristic symptoms include repetitive sneezing; rhinorrhea (runny nose); post-nasal drip; nasal congestion; pruritic (itchy) eyes, ears, nose or throat; and generalized fatigue. Symptoms can also include wheezing, eye tearing, sore throat, and impaired smell. A chronic cough may be secondary to postnasal drip, but should not be mistaken for asthma. Sinus headaches and ear plugging are also common

hope that helps

SeriousReader likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Just to make sure I get this right - you believe that there are more flu viruses polluting the air in Hong Kong than in Singapore?
    Dear PDLM, I wish I knew ! But pollution doesnt necessarily refers to "viruses", does it ?
    Btw.... the above allergic rhinnitis is quite on the mark

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousReader:
    But pollution doesnt necessarily refers to "viruses", does it ?
    I would say that it necessarily doesn't.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast