Like Tree25Likes

Chinese medicine: How convenient????

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Chinese medicine: How convenient????

Plauged by a badly itching scalp, and after countless attempts to get rid of it, i recently decided to see a Chinese medical practioner ( before i'd get out of my mind ); He prescribed a medicine that comes in powder. The total fee was more than 2000 [ consultation fee/ a small bottle of powder/ scalp check-the hair sample taken for lab test ].

I had had that herbal medicine for the first time today and oooooh my!! it tastes so horrible, i nearly became sick. Is it the same with everyone or just me??? i don't think i can continue it for 5 days.Should i stop it and tell the doctor next time [ i've to see him again]. I forgot to ask whether the medicine was to cure the itching or something else ( how stupid one can be !)

Could anyone tell me how convenient or reliable it is???? I am sincerely hoping it will work for me....

My personal view is that much Chinese medicine relies on belief. If you don't believe it's going to work, it's not going to work. But as for the taste - can't you just mix it with honey or something to make it taste better? Since you paid for it now you might as well eat it. Probably won't kill you and it might even work.

Have you tried changing shampoo?

Original Post Deleted
    Ahh,TigerSun, I did use it.....but the itching and the dandruff remained stucken in my alienated scalp. 0.o

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    My personal view is that much Chinese medicine relies on belief.
    And then again, it could be based on thousands of years of trial and error. I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.
    jaykay, cathy789, TheBrit and 6 others like this.

What you should try is herbal tea. Among Chinese, herbal tea is commonly known as liong cha.Typically, herbal tea is simply the combination of boiling water and dried fruits, flowers or herbs. It is not as bitter as the Chinese medicine but it definitely helps!

all chinese medicine that i have ever tried is bitter...

i know of ones who have got "cured" by Chinese medicine after years of Western medicine that didn't work for them. The belief is that whilst western medicine hits the spot right there and then eg, if you have a headache you take a painkiller and it takes the pain away temporarily before you need to take another one. However, Chinese medicine treats the "underlying" problem why you have a headache. Therefore, Chinese medicines can take anything from a few months to years of "therapy" to get you cured. But it's definitely worth looking into if you have something plaguing you long term. As i've said, i know of ones who are cured from various illnesses by Chinese Meds.

All chinese medicines are hard to take. if you have the powder form you are lucky, the packets pf herbs that you need to boil tastes even worse. I find taking the drink when it's cool and drinking it all in one go, and then immediately pop a sweet into my mouth works for me.

HongKongFoot and HKITperson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cherylhohaha:
    What you should try is herbal tea. Among Chinese, herbal tea is commonly known as liong cha.Typically, herbal tea is simply the combination of boiling water and dried fruits, flowers or herbs. It is not as bitter as the Chinese medicine but it definitely helps!
    This drink is only a kind of "cleansing" drink that only helps when your body is feeling a bit run down, Or in some seasons when the humidity is really bad. it's certainly not medicated in any form to help any illnesses. Kind of like popping a vitamin C when you're feeling run down.
    HongKongFoot likes this.

I actually quite like the taste of Chinese medicine. Kind of an "I can handle it" thing. One of my friends took me to one of the places in Sheung Wan and I was given three big packs of herbs to boil up for my lung infection. I was so sick, I had to blow my nose every 5 minutes or I couldn't breathe. The guy said it would take three days, and I couldn't drink beer or eat eggs or chicken because it was apparently related to my liver. I jokingly said, "what am I supposed to live on?" He didn't laugh.

After boiling up the first pack, I found a bug in the herbs, so I pulled it out. Then I found another. I looked more closely and they were SCORPIONS, complete with stingers. I called my friend and she laughed and said she didnt tell me because she knew I'd be put off. I also found a bunch of weird, hairy caterpillars in the other two packs.

I dutifully drank the stuff for three days. 72 hours later, I was perfectly fine! I can't be sure it was the C Med, but I sure as heck would be up for trying it again!

emmie and Dreadnought like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast