Like Tree3Likes

Nose Congestion for 2 weeks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Nose Congestion for 2 weeks

Hi

I am in HK for a year now. I had been infected by flu couple of times but not serious ones. But for last 2 weeks I am facing a big problem. It may be flu or allergy, but I have severe nose congestion. I visited a doctor 2 weeks back and he gave me Flu-Zep Tablets (2 per day) and Cetirizine STADA, 10 mg ( 1 per day)

even after 10 days, I am still have the same problem, I visited doctor again and he suggested me to continue with medicine.

Do you know what could be reason for the problem and how I can get it resolved ??

See a different doctor.

Yes, thats the one probable answer but I just want to know if someone has similar experience.

The term "flu" is hugely misused. If all you have is nasal congestion then it is almost certainly not flu. But if it's a viral infection all you can do is treat the symptoms, which is what fluzep does. Cetirizine is an anti-histamine if what you have is an allergic reaction.

My remedy would be fresh air and exercise - spend the weekend out on the hills while the weather is perfect for it.

Joseph098765 likes this.

Thanks PDLM, its wonderful answer

Have a number of friends who have similar situation. After a few visits to doctors, it all boils down to the pollution, humid/cold weather and over air-conditioning in HK. I heard that some doctors ask them to take a holiday and get away from HK if possible. For me, the winter pollution and weather gives me an itchy throat and sometimes I cough for months. The cure is usually a trip away from HK, preferably to somewhere sunny and warm.

Char Siu King likes this.

My nose is a bit congested and Saturday morning with the windows full open I started to have my nose run like a tape. Took a drink of Beecham's and it is mostly fine now. A bit stuffy. Not a cold but a bit of an allergy to the air of HK.

I clean my nostrils regularly with water, it helps a lot.
    Since you already have a congestion you could try to clean your nostrils over boiling camomille water, that might not be entirely succesful but could give some relief.

yoga headstands also help a lot, but it takes time to learn the skills.

However, all this is something you might want to look into for the long term.

To piggyback on Morrison's suggestion, try a Neti pot. Lots of threads on GeoExpats about them.

hkmmm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    To piggyback on Morrison's suggestion, try a Neti pot. Lots of threads on GeoExpats about them.
    I was going to suggest this too. Its really effective. Its not the most pleasant thing but stick with it until you find some relief.

If you don't want to buy a neti pot, I've bought something called Sinoclear, which is a disposable container, which works in the same way. I found it at Watsons or Mannings (can't remember which).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast