Like Tree2Likes

Sleeping Pills

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sleeping Pills

Can anyone recommend a good sleeping pill please. With the least side effects and something which is not addictive.
    I understand that sleeping pills are not healthy etc. etc., but I really do need them. I go to Uk for work, stay for 3 weeks and then come back to HK for 2 weeks. I do not get any sleep at all once I'm back to HK. Haven't slept properly for last 5 days, been doing crazy and stupid things at night like joining Twitter and reading Justin Bieber's biography!!! Help!

Zolpidem is often prescribed in the states for short term insomnia. I suspect a doctor would prescribe it here.

Zopiclone is available illegally OTC in many pharmacies in HK (not Watson etc, obv) but it can be addictive.

How about Melatonin? It claims it's herbal and very less or no side-effects.

I find Zoplicone really helps me, and it can be addictive as in my body won't sleep the next night without it if I take a full pill. However I find taking half a pill is enough to knock me out without it causing a dependence.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendJay:
    I find Zoplicone really helps me, and it can be addictive as in my body won't sleep the next night without it if I take a full pill. However I find taking half a pill is enough to knock me out without it causing a dependence.
    I tackled my last bout of insomnia with 2mg a day (half a pill) for five days. Been sleeping like a baby for 4 months now.

re: addiction, there are case studies where people suffered severe withdrawal problems and had to 'wean' off it. They were taking significantly higher doses though (10+mg a day for prolonged periods). Always best to speak to a doctor (I had it prescribed twice in the UK and once here).
    Last edited by limepickle; 07-04-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Try reading Plato's Republic. I did that about 8 years ago and I fell asleep each night before I finished the paragraph I was reading.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendJay:
    Try reading Plato's Republic. I did that about 8 years ago and I fell asleep each night before I finished the paragraph I was reading.
    Believe it or not, if I have trouble these days my first port of call is listening to a guided meditation mp3 ...

I find copious amounts of alcolhol helps me sleep, until i found out i have even more serious problem of being an alcoholic, he he, only joking

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    Zolpidem is often prescribed in the states for short term insomnia. I suspect a doctor would prescribe it here.

Zopiclone is available illegally OTC in many pharmacies in HK (not Watson etc, obv) but it can be addictive.
    I've taken Zolpidem a few times but find if I take it one night and have a lovely deep sleep - the following night I don't sleep well at all. That said, it's good for a few hours kip on a long haul flight though.

Melatonin is good for jet lag induced sleep problems. It's the hormone in the body which regulates the sleep/wake cycle (not a herb). I've used it in the past effectively and it's not addictive. I would not get sleeping pills illegally from a chemist without first checking with a doctor - you could do yourself more harm than good.

pudcat likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast