Like Tree4Likes

Question: About Honey

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Many believe to get the most from honey, you should only use honey that is from where you live, e.g., Hong Kong honey if you live here, since it will be the most beneficial to you. There is a bee farm near the Buddha on Lantau--might be a good place to check out and one I've been meaning to visit.

You get what you pay for idiot! You're not going to get French Bistro Quality while paying Mcdonald's prices.

Quote Originally Posted by veena19:
    Thanks, looks like prices are in USD and shipping to HK is expensive.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Who on earth would contemplate buying cheap honey in/from China?

Honey laundering

What consumers don’t know is that honey doesn’t usually come straight – or pure – from the hive. Giant steel drums of honey bound for grocery store shelves and the food processors that crank out your cereal are in constant flow through the global market. Most honey comes from China, where beekeepers are notorious for keeping their bees healthy with antibiotics banned in North America because they seep into honey and contaminate it; packers there learn to mask the acrid notes of poor quality product by mixing in sugar or corn-based syrups to fake good taste.

None of this is on the label. Rarely will a jar of honey say “Made in China.” Instead, Chinese honey sold in North America is more likely to be stamped as Indonesian, Malaysian or Taiwanese, due to a growing multimillion dollar laundering system designed to keep the endless supply of cheap and often contaminated Chinese honey moving into the U.S., where tariffs have been implemented to staunch the flow and protect its own struggling industry.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 24-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Exploding watermelons, bees on crack! Well I'll bee!

luckycat and Satay Sue like this.

Hence why I buy USA produced honey from iherb that is certified organic and not that cheap shit from China... I also buy most of my other non-perishable food items from them including baking supplies. Hell, even if you factor in shipping costs, the majority of items are still cheaper than what you can get in HK...

Iherb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Who on earth would contemplate buying cheap honey in/from China?

Honey laundering
    Last edited by HongKongFoot; 24-05-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

HKF, have been a long-time customer of iherb.

Quote Originally Posted by veena19:
    Thanks, looks like prices are in USD and shipping to HK is expensive.
    No money, no honey...

P.S. - A very wise person in wanchai told me this...errm...
    Last edited by gunsnroses; 24-05-2011 at 03:27 PM.
    TheBrit likes this.

About a year or so I guess, found them when I got pissed off a PK&S/City Super when the normal items I was looking for was out of stock for months and the people there were totally clueless about what I was talking about. And this was conversing in Cantonese. Also the lack of variety and selection really really pisses me off.

Over $10USD for a box of cereal that I can get back home for $4 USD at regular price, $2.50 on sale? That same cereal on Iherb is $4.50, factor in shipping for about $2 to your door if you only order that, you are still coming out ahead.

I mean comon, its a flucking box of cereal, not the last ticket on the ark. But since its Organic and Whole Grain, they jack up the prices esp since its "Imported" so it has to be better.

The only bullshit I do not like about iherb is that the $5 coupon only works one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    HKF, have been a long-time customer of iherb.

I still have the (large) pot of honey I brought with me from NZ 4 years ago. How much honey can one person eat for goodness sake?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I still have the (large) pot of honey I brought with me from NZ 4 years ago. How much honey can one person eat for goodness sake?
    If you drink a glass of warm water with one spoon of honey every morning then I guess you can put away a lot. If your family loves them pancakes/muffins then you can consume decent amount of honey on a regular basis. But, yes I am curious too, why the OP needs so much of honey? Building a beehive?
    luckycat likes this.