Like Tree1Likes

DEHP in bubble tea?

Closed Thread

DEHP in bubble tea?

Just read about the recent food scare from Taiwan regarding the use of DEHP (a chemical plasticizer and potential carcinogen) as stabilizer in drinks and juice syrups. Some of these products may have been exported and used in bubble tea shops in Hong Kong.

Does anyone have any more info about this? I often frequent Cha Time and Gong Cha and order their passion fruit green tea. Am wondering if these two establishments have been affected by this and if I should be worrying.

I checked Hong Kong Food Safety website and there was a recall on the sports drinks from Taiwan but no mention of the fruit syrups used by the local bubble tea shops.

As far as Hong Kong goes, only at "Tea Time" where all workers there dressed in pink used the syrup. But to be fair, they haven't been using the syrup right after the news 2 nights ago. Gong Cha is fine, I never paid attention to Cha Time but no mention of it was made, so it should also be fine.

I asked Tea Time about it yesterday. That specific store claimed to have never used the syrup and had always been using fresh fruit.

Anyways, you shouldn't worry as you never ordered that drink in Tea Time before.

Even if you have been exposed or ingested some there is nothing you can do about it. Its not a poison and there is no antidote. You're not contagious and you wont be dying from it anytime soon. The more you worry, the worse you feel. So relax and read a nice report:
    DEHP - EU Risk Assessment

HC

Original Post Deleted
    I have; if you have also read it, you will see that there is nothing you can do about it.
    No drugs, no surgery, no amount of worrying will "fix" the problem (if there is one); my suggestion stands -> stop worrying and enjoy your life.

HC

Howard I initially had the same conclusion but that report is only for toys and products not for drinking!

This stuff has been used for medical devices like blood transfusion tubes etc... no wonder you get sicker the more you visit a hospital..

and then there is this....

"Effects on living organisms
    [edit] Smaller penis size and other feminizing links

DEHP metabolites measured from the blood of pregnant women have been significantly associated with the decreased penis width, shorter anogenital distance, and the incomplete descent of testes of their newborn sons, replicating effects identified in animals.[6] Approximately 25% of US women have phthalate levels similar to those in the study.[6]"

I think all the guys with short dicks in taiwan will be setting up a class action against the drinks manufacturers..... Lets see who wants to be the president of that group.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    Howard I initially had the same conclusion but that report is only for toys and products not for drinking!

This stuff has been used for medical devices like blood transfusion tubes etc... no wonder you get sicker the more you visit a hospital..

and then there is this....

"Effects on living organisms
    [edit] Smaller penis size and other feminizing links

DEHP metabolites measured from the blood of pregnant women have been significantly associated with the decreased penis width, shorter anogenital distance, and the incomplete descent of testes of their newborn sons, replicating effects identified in animals.[6] Approximately 25% of US women have phthalate levels similar to those in the study.[6]"

I think all the guys with short dicks in taiwan will be setting up a class action against the drinks manufacturers..... Lets see who wants to be the president of that group.
    Asian men already has a bit of a PR problem (i'm assuming PR and not reality) and now this.

Original Post Deleted
    *smile*
    but ofcourse. However, the OP is all worried now, after drinking tea in various establishments about this horrible stuff. My whole point is that its just too late. Stop worrying la! Nothing can be done if you have already drunk the stuff. Penis will shrivel soon.

HC