Like Tree4Likes

Medical advice on how much water to drink...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Why don't you have her consult with another local physician? Or confirm with her original doctor that 3 liters of water in addition to her other liquid intake was the recommendation rather than 3 liters of rather in lieu of the other liquids she was consuming. I would think that a trained medical professional who checks out your mum personally will offer better advice than the opinions here.

One thing to consider, and I read this recently, is that doctors and patients often have miscommunications. It could be a doctor who explains things without sufficient detail. It could be a patient who misinterprets what the doctor orders. It could be any number of things. Because of this it is recommended that someone - usually a family member - accompany an older adult to the doctor's office to ask pertinent questions, take notes and make sure the patient follows orders. It's easy to see how a key detail be overlooked or forgotten from the patients point of view. After all he/she is poked, prodded, asked questions, given orders all the while wearing a bum-exposing gown made of paper.
    No it is not that important, it was just a comment a doctor made to her while she was seeing him about something else unrelated. She is not senile, she specifically asked him whether tea and soft drinks counted towards the 3 litres and he said no. Her heart consultant on the other hand said she had the body of a healthy sixty year old.

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle:
    the point I was making is that other forms of liquid (i.e. not pure water) are perfectly good at keeping you hydrated.
    Which has always been my thinking, but I feel odd when a doctor gives such seemingly crap advice so I wanted to check if anyone else agreed with him.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    No it is not that important, it was just a comment a doctor made to her while she was seeing him about something else unrelated. She is not senile, she specifically asked him whether tea and soft drinks counted towards the 3 litres and he said no. Her heart consultant on the other hand said she had the body of a healthy sixty year old.
    I never meant to suggest she was senile. If that's how I came across, I apologize. I was just suggesting a few things that might clear up what sounds like an odd directive from her doctor.

3 Liters of water is really nothing, I can go through 3 liters in about 2 hours or so. On average I drink about 9 liters of water a day if I dont work out. Working out I tend to drink about 3 liters alone.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    3 Liters of water is really nothing, I can go through 3 liters in about 2 hours or so. On average I drink about 9 liters of water a day if I dont work out. Working out I tend to drink about 3 liters alone.
    You must pee a lot man

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongFoot:
    An article for you:

Strange but True: Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill: Scientific American

Note the stuff about drinking excessively while working out - what you are stating sounds dangerous.
    Satay Sue likes this.

Personally I take the old fashioned approach......

When I'm thirsty I have a drink.

Works for me.