Like Tree2Likes

Hong Kong - Body Fat Percentage question

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuMaiTaiTai:
    I went into M&S the other day and was totally shocked at the size of the clothing! Everything looked huge, like a size 12 looked more like a size 16 etc.
    I'm doubtful as to whether the big chains differ internationally but the chains definitely differ from each other, a size 12 in H&M will be a 10 in M&S etc which doesn't make much sense to me, I thought sizing would be standard otherwise what is the point ?
    It's vanity sizing...

M&S usually attracts 'older' customers...who maybe when they were younger were a size 8..but as they got older...a few pounds here and there...still want to be an '8'. And so on.

Next is another one, as is Gap, Banana Republic where the sizes are HUGE. I can't fit into any gap trousers skirts and so on. WAY too big.

Topshop attracts a younger crowd (as does H&M) so sizing tends to be smaller, but even then they have made it slightly more 'generous' hence the need to introduce a UK size 4.

It's the same in the US...a size 0 of today is NOT THAT SMALL as I discovered (and is NOT equal to a UK size 4, more like a UK 6-10) and it was a size 6 probably a few decades back.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongperson:
    I've not found the sizes with Esprit to be any different whether in the UK or in Hong Kong.
    That's interesting to know. I am a size S in Australia and Canada, straight to a M or L in Malaysia and M in Singapore. I haven't compared either UK and Hong Kong sizing.

(Esprit Collection may be more uniform as this range was originally designed for Europe.)
    Last edited by Laksa Girl; 03-08-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuMaiTaiTai:
    I went into M&S the other day and was totally shocked at the size of the clothing! Everything looked huge, like a size 12 looked more like a size 16 etc.
    I'm doubtful as to whether the big chains differ internationally but the chains definitely differ from each other, a size 12 in H&M will be a 10 in M&S etc which doesn't make much sense to me, I thought sizing would be standard otherwise what is the point ?
    Are you comparing UK sizes? UK sizes have ALWAYS been different from US sizes. M&S is a UK brand so uses UK sizing.

I know its UK sizing but my point is that a size UK12 say, is different in Topshop compared to M&S which doesn't really make sense to me as measurements are measurements!
    I thought it might be to flatter the customers but if sizing was just sizing then it would be so much easier to shop.

Vanity sizes are kind of annoying when you're trying to shop online though, I really hope they change that sooner rather than later.

I believe in the states, American Apparel is more catered to the "beautiful" crowd so their sizes are generally smaller compared to the norm ( Somewhat misleading I guess, smaller than American norm but alright by the rest of the world ). If I buy shirts in the States, I would have to buy small. In Canada, Hong Kong, basically anywhere else "and" places like AA, I would be wearing medium.

Makes it a tad confusing since a lot of indie T-shirt makers from the states that sell online use base clothing from AA and thus use their sizes.

I assume clothes differ in sizes due to the price/quality of the garment e.g cheaper clothes are usually smaller because the manufacturers are more frugal with the fabric to increase profits

Quote Originally Posted by patcastle:
    I assume clothes differ in sizes due to the price/quality of the garment e.g cheaper clothes are usually smaller because the manufacturers are more frugal with the fabric to increase profits
    That's about the daftest notion I have yet read.

Have you ever come across a shop that charges a different price for different sizes? Or perhaps the rack only pretends to be different sizes and actually they are all just one (smallest) size.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 10-08-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    Satay Sue likes this.