Like Tree5Likes

Workout timing

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by hongkongperson:
    I often eat during exercise, and it's not what I would call 'easy' exercise :-).
    Not sure how that is possible - I suppose if you are riding a bike it might be possible to inhale some yoghurt or something easy to digest while exercising - but eating while running is pretty much impossible (and if you did, you couldn't run very fast anyway).

another option is to come home from work and do the prep-work for dinner. then go to gym, and that way once you get back you can quickly heat up dinner and eat.

second the recommendation to have a snack at like 430-5PM, so that you have some light energy to carry you through workout until dinner.

regarding the milk, whey protein shake...what kind of oats are you adding?

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Not sure how that is possible - I suppose if you are riding a bike it might be possible to inhale some yoghurt or something easy to digest while exercising - but eating while running is pretty much impossible (and if you did, you couldn't run very fast anyway).
    It is possible, I eat WHILE running. :-)

A long run is considered a HARD run as it's stressful on your body- even if done at an easy pace. Once you go over XX miles, you need to eat. I can't stomach energy drinks (and they're harder to carry around esp. if you're already lugging water) so I eat sweeties of all sorts :-)

Additionally, you CAN run fast and eat- or what is 'fast' for a set distance. E.g. you may be able to run 5K at a 6:20 minute mile pace, but let's say you run a HM at a 7 minute mile pace. 7 minute miling over 13.1 miles is not slow (for a female esp), it's not super fast, but it's a nippy pace- and I would always eat over that distance in a race (but not in training).

Obviously trying to chow down on a big mac or something while running in a 5K would be out of the question.

Running too fast anyway is overrated. If you want to be able to run fast, train, for the most part, damn slow and long.

Quote Originally Posted by BaconBreadBaker:
    regarding the milk, whey protein shake...what kind of oats are you adding?
    I use quick oats, doesn't really matter what brand. I often buy the Best Buy branded oats at Taste/PnS, they are from Australia and cost very little (almost 1/3 of the price of Quaker Quick Oats from the US).

so you are just mix the instant oatmeal with milk and whey protein? you still make it like a shake? or make it thick like oatmeal porridge? same question for the oat and choco milk.

If I am at home I put it all in a blender:

1 cup low fat milk (around 100 calories)
    1/2 cup or 1 cup oats (depends on your meal size) (150-300 calories)
    1 scoop protein powder (130 calories)
    optional fruit like banana (105 calories)

When I am out I just put it all into a shaker bottle (shake) before I leave and put it in my bag. The oats will then have a few hours to soak so they go down well. The fruit I eat on the side. When I go hiking I usually use chocolate powder (Ovaltine) instead of whey protein powder, it's basically all sugar.

Oats are great, there are many quick meals you can cook at home just within a few minutes. Oats and nothing else (than water), oats with cottage cheese, oats with cottage cheese and apple sauce, oatmeal/protein pancakes, etc. don't forget cinnamon if you start experimenting.

Last edited by 100LL; 03-09-2011 at 12:53 AM.
    BaconBreadBaker likes this.