CURE FOR A COLD!...quicky cures?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CURE FOR A COLD!...quicky cures?

HI Everybody,

In a slight dilemma. I got the sniffles on Wednesday, and took some meds I brought here form back home (Tylenol Cold) I just started my new job this Thursday and it has just gotten worse. Now my sinus has kicked in and the phlegm (eeew i know). I remember my doctor always asked me about the color (white or yellow) of the phlegm and what it meant...can't remember what is it.

Anyways, hopefully I can avoid the doctor because I don't want to be on antibiotics (the common practice here). Not to mention the medical bills are not cheap, as I don't have medical insurance yet...still on probation. Calling in sick is not an option; surely that would impress my new employers!

I would appreciate any suggestions. Please let me know where I can get the items/meds if it recommended. Thank you

Doctors in the uk recommend 2x1000mg of vit c a day one morning one evening and 4x 2 paracetomal a day, works for my wife every time.

I also take beechams (instead of paracetomal) as it has a decongestant, they sell them here at watsons (although they do not sell the max strength formula) they will help.

Recently they have proven zinc helps as well so go get the redoxon that has zinc in it (watsons or mannings).

Also for avoiding the red nose get kleenex balsam tissues from park and shop, avoid toilet roll and cheap tissues.

On a more natural note I also take natures best antibioitc chicken soup.

Get well soon hopefully others will advise

Uh, why don't you go to a govt. hospital? You're entitled to use our government hospitals if you have HK ID. We have some of the best care in the world. It's right up there with Canada's. HK's life expectancy for men and women exceeds that of Canada too. It won't cost you more than $100 (including medication and x-rays, if needed, which I doubt).

IMO there's no 'cure' for the cold. Drink some OJ, rest up, stay hydrated and avoid caffeine and stress.

If there was a cure for the common cold, everyone would know about it. Problem is the cold isn't common. Phlegm is usually sign of a sinus infection and it might not go away by itself. I think the yellow (or non-white) is the kind that might force you to take an anti-biotic.
    Would also recommend the tissues with lotion as they do prevent the red nose look.

boil coke with garlic and lemon slices. after about 5 minutes drink it while it is still warm.

Thanks...

Hi Everyone,

Guess I used the wrong term when I said "cure" but really what I meant was anything to help along the process off getting over a cold.

plasticdog: Going to get myself some beecham and/or paracetomal (not familiar with this brand back home) from Watsons. As for gov't hospitals I heard the line-up is extremely long and the wait is even worse, and you'd have to be xtra early in the mornings... Anyways, the mornings are the worse for me, but as the day prorogresses it gets better....until the next morning that is!

Taking all your advices to heart. Thank you all ! Greatly appreciate it! Take care yourselves as well !

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    If there was a cure for the common cold, everyone would know about it.
    Well actually there is,and it's called Echinacea.

Echinacea's reputation for chasing off the common cold has made it one of the most widely used herbal products on the market.

Of course if you want to prevent the common cold, then you have to take kombucha regularly.

The best remedy is plenty of rest and water, popping a few vitamin c pills can help, and a couple of panadols can also alleviate the aches around your neck and joints.

Oh, and if yu have a blocked nose, I recommend using one of those nasal sprays, can't remember the name but your pharmacist should know what I'm talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by reei:
    boil coke with garlic and lemon slices. after about 5 minutes drink it while it is still warm.
    I do this but with ginger instead of garlic - works well.

Also, I place tea true oil on the pressure points on my face and cover my head with a towel while sitting over a bowl of hot, steaming water help to relax my face muscles.
    Last edited by Alby; 21-07-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Go to a pharmacy (some Watsons or Mannings have pharmacies but not all) and get some pills with pseudoephedrine - we use one called clariflu I think and it is much cheaper from the local pharmacies rather than Watsons or Mannings.

At home we get Codral but they don't sell that here - its tagline is 'with Codral you can soldier on' and the ads are focussed on Mum's who don't have a choice but to carry on when they get sick - its great stuff adn we stock up whenever we can. Basically in my opinion if it doesn't have psedudoephedrine you are wasting your money but this is the same stuff the use to make P so in New Zealand you have to show id to buy drugs containing it and sometimes the chemist will refuse you.

I also think pulpy pure Orange Juice works wonders.

Last edited by larac; 21-07-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast