Like Tree28Likes

STD checkup

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

As SPODE wrote, The Hong Kong Government operates free "Social Hygiene Clinics"

Why anyone would pay $299 for something the govt is giving away ?
    What use is a medical test if it's "not for diagnosis or treatment purposes" ? (as stated on Groupon's web site)

This is the dumbest offer I've seen, but now 83 have bought it.

Last edited by justlooking; 24-11-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    Drunken Master likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking:
    Why anyone would pay $299 for something the govt is giving away ?
    ummm, have you looked at how successful private hospitals are these days?
    Have you been in one and see how many locals pay to go to private hospitals instead of free government ones?

Once you do, you'll know the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    ummm, have you looked at how successful private hospitals are these days?
    Have you been in one and see how many locals pay to go to private hospitals instead of free government ones?

Once you do, you'll know the reason.
    I've sent my children to private hospitals on several occasions because I wanted them to be treated by a doctor I trusted; An expert who knew what they were doing.

Similarly, in the case of a sex disease, I would look for an expert. And surely, the best place to find such an expert would be one of the adore-mentioned government clinics, not a diagnostician who spends his time doing every kind of medical test under the sun, and even states in the advertisement that the results cannot be relied upon.

Having Said That... I have to admit, I've never set foot inside a sex disease clinic, so I might be missing something. Perhaps some more "experienced" posters can share their experience.

You are making the assertion that:
    a) you dont trust public hospital doctors; they may not know what they are doing
    and at the same time
    b) you dont trust private hospitals for STDs because the govt clinic has a lot more practice
    There is a fallacy in there somewhere but I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader.

The "problem" with the govt clinics is the same as the govt hospitals : they are just fine and adequate. They are clean but smell a bit clinical and at times the wait can be a bit long.

The private hospitals and clinics offer :
    - nice coffee
    - leather couches
    - cute receptionists
    - sweet smelling waiting rooms
    and for all those advantages, you are expected to pay a premium (or get a coupon) which many people are happy to do.

Satay Sue likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    You are making the assertion that:
    a) you dont trust public hospital doctors; they may not know what they are doing
    and at the same time
    b) you dont trust private hospitals for STDs because the govt clinic has a lot more practice
    There is a fallacy in there somewhere but I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader.

The "problem" with the govt clinics is the same as the govt hospitals : they are just fine and adequate. They are clean but smell a bit clinical and at times the wait can be a bit long.

The private hospitals and clinics offer :
    - nice coffee
    - leather couches
    - cute receptionists
    - sweet smelling waiting rooms
    and for all those advantages, you are expected to pay a premium (or get a coupon) which many people are happy to do.
    What coffee is it? Is it Nespresso?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    What coffee is it? Is it Nespresso?
    What else....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    What else....
    In that case, I'm going private.