Like Tree2Likes

Prescription overkill for flu?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Prescription overkill for flu?

After feeling a bit grotty and bunged up for a few days the wife visits local doctor.

My prescription-hot whiskey toddies and Lem Sip.

His prescription:-

Zyrtec-OTC anti allergy for blocked nose
    Afrin-OTC spray for blocked nose
    Polaramine-anti histamine for runny nose
    Tabalgin-pain killer
    Nidol-NSAID-pain killer and anti inflammatory
    Zinnat-anti biotic.

and a $500 bill for the pills and $300 for consult.

Overkill?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Six types of medicine for the sniffles is the norm in Hong Kong. Any fewer and the patient doctor-hops. AND the medicines normally last for 3 days only, requiring a second visit to get more.

Although I have to say, the price is a bit steep for a 2-min consultation and the candy bag. Guess not much competition around that doctor's surgery.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 06-01-2012 at 02:41 PM.

On the mainland you usually walk out with a shopping bag full. Doctors get under the table commissions through the hospital pharmacy.

Personally I think it is overkill. Where I'm from the doctors do not (1) "prescribe" OTC medication you can buy at a pharmacy (although they will recommend suitable OTC meds for particular symptons, which you can chose to purchase at the hospital, or another, pharmacy, or not and (2) prescribe antibiotics for a viral infection (cold/ flu), with the second being borderline malpractice.

Unless your wife's doctor is pretty certain (has he run any tests/ cultures) that she has a secondary bacterial infection WTF would he prescribe an antibiotic for a viral infection? Not medical advice I would be happy to be paying for.

TheBrit likes this.

ps. you could purchase all those pills at a local pharmacy for under $500 total, unless he prescribed some huge volume...

Too many pills IMO

I always think it's more important to build your immune system. I was never ill for about 20 years when I lived in England except the odd cold here and there. I put it down to my immune system being good because I never took pills. However, my immune system is bloody useless for HK germs. I reckon the germs here know kung fu or something.

Problem is in HK you need a doc's note for one day's absence so people go to the doctor when they're fine, and these doctors can make a decent living by churning out the doctor's note + bundle of pointless pills combo.

On the contrary, I think HK hopsitals are excellent, and they're clearly the priority, so I'm not too bothered.

Welcome to Hong Kong - Asia's World City for over prescription of drugs for a common flu (TM).

And it's obviously not even flu.

The over-prescribing is typical for a private clinic, the over-pricing at the one you went to is rather over the top, most private clinics will charge something similar to your consultation fee for consultation and medicine combined.

I only demand rectum depository medicines for flu.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast