Like Tree30Likes

Physiotherapist vs chiropractor

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thank you all for your answers and feedback.

I finally decided to see a reknowned ostheopath as many people kept on telling me the miracle of ostheopathy. Still I am very disappointed! I had 6 sessions with him (as he recommended) and my back is only in a slightly better shape. I also paid a lot of money (around 1000 per session). So now I am starting to think some treatment does not work with anybody. I feel particularly tense (pressure from the kids, my husband's job uncertainties...) so is it possible stress prevents me from any treatment benefit? Shall I try to see someone else or wait for while?

Anyway, if I decide to see some other doctor, it will only be someone covered by my insurance because I cannot afford anymore expensive visits. So anyone know some good physiotherapist in Central doing hand treatment (not electrodes) and from which you noticed results?

Thank you.

Orthopedic surgeons deal with back pain not requiring surgery??? It never occurred to my mind actually. I am open to all solutions as far as I am aware of their existence (that is why I am posting here).

The GP will probably just prescribe pain killers and muscle relaxers which are only masking symptoms without correcting the problem, whatever it might be.
    Who consults an orthopedic surgeon for back pain not requiring surgery anyhow? The GP isn't going to refer you without good reason. Just having back pain is not enough to justify a referral to the orthopedic surgeon.

BB395 likes this.

Excuse me, English is not my native language. But what about going to a "normal" Dr of Orthopedics? Not a surgeon. Or is this the same in this corner of the world?

I've been to one (can't recommend him though, typical expat high cost for 2 minute consultation where you leave with a bag of pills). But at least he was a real Doctor of Orthopaedics and my insurance paid his bills (after a referral) just as they do with any other doctor bills.

Just having back pain is not enough to justify a referral to the orthopedic surgeon.
    It was certainly enough in my case. I simply requested a referral to an orthopedic doctor...
    Last edited by 100LL; 07-04-2012 at 07:42 PM.

double post.

I don't know about HK but in the US orthopedic dr and surgeon are the same. I couldn't get a referral to one until I saw my GP several times, did physical therapy for 3 months and finally got X-rays then an MRI showing a disc herniation. Like you, I left with a bunch of drugs and instructions to book a surgery date. If its non-surgical you'll likely just end up with meds and a hefty bill for a short visit. Just make sure it's covered by insurance first.

I suggest you see Dr. Julian Chang, his clinic is on 2nd floor of st. George's building, central.
    For physio, you can see charmaine tam at this http://www.physiohk.com/.

What will the orthopedic doctor do during the session? I don't want to take pills! I want to find a solution to my back problem. This probably means adjustment + understanding the causes of the problem so that I can change the posture etc. So whom I should turn to?

Quote Originally Posted by MCDC:
    The GP will probably just prescribe pain killers and muscle relaxers which are only masking symptoms without correcting the problem, whatever it might be.
    Who consults an orthopedic surgeon for back pain not requiring surgery anyhow? The GP isn't going to refer you without good reason. Just having back pain is not enough to justify a referral to the orthopedic surgeon.
    When I had a knee injury in NZ I went to a local doctor who referred me to a surgeon who referred me to a physio. A good surgeon will refer you to the physio if he thinks that will solve the problem.
    rathunt likes this.

OK then. I'll go to my GP and get a referral to an orthopaedic doctor, it seems wiser to me too than going to visit another physio for the moment. Here is the list of orthopaedic doctors covered by my insurance, by any chance if someone here know one of them and can recommend him, please let me know:

Dr. Leung Kaa Kei
    Room 1401-1403, Wing On House, 71 Des Voeux Road Central, Central

Dr Peter Tio / Dr Daniel Hooley / Dr Ho Ho Pak Henry
    Quality HealthCare Medical Centre (Central), Room 501, Prince's Building, Central

Dr Cheng Chung Lun
    Quality HealthCare Medical Centre (Crawford House), Rooms 706-709, 7/F., Crawford House, 70 Queen's Road Central, Central

Dr Hsu C.S. Louis
    Suite 1525, Prince's Building, Central

Dr. Jason Brockwell
    8/F, AON China Building, 29 Queen's Road, Central

Thanks a lot.