Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dipper

Health insurance in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Health insurance in Hong Kong

Staying on in Hong Kong having arrived when covered by travel insurance. there seems to be a myriad of private health insurance providers in Hong Kong, the usual suspects, any local knowledge, tips, recommendations would be welcome.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Work for a company that provides it to staff.
    Sorry.

It really comes down to your needs/budget. Most will not cover previous illnesses. So for those you could either pay out of pocket or use your HKID card and go to the public clinics/hospitals.

Some, such as BUPA, offer total coverage without having to pay anything up front.

when I arrived I talked to many oldtimers from all over places, they basically all rely on public clinics and are happy with it.
    HK friends recommended personal accident insurance and I have added travel insurance to it. For the few ailments I have paying a private doctor with my own money is better than paying expensive and ever increasing private health insurance fees

I looked into it back in the day. For doctor's visits we worked out that each of us would need to visit a private doctor something like 15-20 times in a year (if I remember correctly) to get our money back versus just paying for it when we needed it. Didn't seem worth it. You can of course go to a public clinic for routine doctors visits - from a medical point of view the public clinics are just as good if not better but you have to queue so we usually go to a private clinic nearby just to save time. For major things like operations we just use the public health system.

emx likes this.