Like Tree71Likes

HIV positive Helper

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

HIV positive Helper

We are looking to hire a helper to help care for our 4 month old. We interviewed for one at an agency and found one we were happy with. As part of the application process she had a medical test that showed she is HIV+. The agency asked if we still wanted to hire her. Thoughts?

Sounds harsh but I would never hire an HIV positive helper to take care of a baby. What if she is irresponsible about her hygiene or something of that nature. Don't take the risk with your baby.

Hmm, thats a tough one

As for the HIV+ itself; I wouldn´t be worried about the danger of contamination if thats your main concern. All people should now (I know they are not) be so educated that they would know the ways that a such infection can be passed on - and you are unlikely to experience such situations with your helper.
    But....what are the rules for insurance etc ? There is a risk that she would be in need for treatment....maybe even a quite drastic amount of treatment within the contract period.
    Would it be possible to get insurance for this well knowing that it is a per-existing condition ?

I would pay my highest respect to someone who is willing to hire a helper knowing her condition as being HIV positive

bookblogger likes this.

Everyone is thinking...no way....but doesn't want to be so politically incorrect as to say so.

As pepe77 said, great respect to you for genuinely considering it. The reality is you'd be hiring someone with a very serious disease. Not exactly ideal is it.

How will you sleep at night knowing there is (an ever so slight) chance of infection?

Personally, I'm surprised she'd be allowed a visa given her health condition

Brooklynexpat likes this.

The fact that the OP is even considering it, is worthy of respect imho.

It's a tough question because we are not talking about adults.

I wouldn't worry much if she was just cleaning.

With a Baby and as Pepe pointed out vis a vis the insurance it is not that easy I guess.

No hard position on this but I would 1) clear the insurance issue first - it may be a deal breaker 2) think about whether I/my other half would be comfortable with it or not, and this only you know.

Quote Originally Posted by pepe77:
    Hmm, thats a tough one

As for the HIV+ itself; I wouldn´t be worried about the danger of contamination if thats your main concern. All people should now (I know they are not) be so educated that they would know the ways that a such infection can be passed on - and you are unlikely to experience such situations with your helper.
    But....what are the rules for insurance etc ? There is a risk that she would be in need for treatment....maybe even a quite drastic amount of treatment within the contract period.
    Would it be possible to get insurance for this well knowing that it is a per-existing condition ?

I would pay my highest respect to someone who is willing to hire a helper knowing her condition as being HIV positive
    I'm plenty educated about the transmission of HIV and it's obvious the risk of transmission from helper to child is probably low, but why chance it when you have a 4 month old baby without a fully developed immune system. What if the helper gets a cut and bodily fluids happen to touch a baby in an area where the skin is cracked? Granted the odds are against it but anyone who would take even a remote risk with their child is asking for trouble. If you have tremendous respect for someone who hires someone with HIV to take care of their baby then perhaps you are misguided. If you have children I wonder if you would practice what you preach.
    iflylow, Skyhook and kpelszyn like this.

I agree, respect to anyone who hires an HIV+ helper. BUT may I ask what the point of the medical is then?
    Edit: Brooklyn responded while I was typing this

Last edited by Satay Sue; 16-08-2012 at 10:38 AM.

I think the main worry would be how she copes with the actual disease as opposed to any worry about passing it on to you.

What treatment will she require? what medication will she be on? what if her condition deteriorates and she gets ill? To me, that makes it a non-starter.

Last edited by Alan Partridge; 16-08-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Hmm, easy now Brooklynexpat - I wasn´t targetting at you.
    Anyway, there is unfortunately still a huge misconception of risks of getting infected.
    There are so many factors to this subject but I will try to give an example of where I stand.
    We have a very close family relation who is HIV+ - would I trust this person to take care of my baby: YES
    Would I hire a helper knowing her condition as being HIV+: Propably not (for several reasons)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast