Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chrisdr

NHS for BNO passport holder?

Closed Thread

NHS for BNO passport holder?

Hi,

I am from the UK and my wife is a Hong Konger.

We are planning to spend a couple of months in the UK next year. She has a BNO passport as well as HKSAR.

If she travels on the BNO passport is she entitled to NHS (assuming that we register with a local doctor)?

Thanks

Chris

u live in the uk? i.e. have an address? if u do she should be able to register lol or does she have a dependents visa?

Woohoo to Hong Kong

My girlfriend entered the UK twice, once for 6 months and once for 3 months. She simply registered at my gp as a "visiting" patient. not exactly sure how it is defined but the couple of times she had to go to the doctor there was no problem. She entered on a BNO passport as well.

Have you thought about if there is a serious accident? GP might accept her as visiting patient but if she has emergency our similar (touch wood) the hospital may not provide free services. Would be good to have travel insurance with full medical as well.

Regards
    G

Even full British Citizens don't legally have free access to the NHS unless they are resident in the UK. So whilst she might get away with it as mentioned above, it's not something that she's entitled to - don't rely on it.

She'll need to get a National Insurance number before she can register with a doctor. No idea if a BNO passport qualifies for this, sorry.

She will still be treated in an emergency regardless of nationality/ status but anything beyond that is a matter of luck. There's a clampdown on "healthcare tourists" i.e. foreign nationals coming to the UK to take advantage of the "free" healthcare.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I think we'll get travel/medical insurance, seems like the safest thing to do.

Chris

Satay Sue likes this.