Like Tree22Likes

Sunscreen below spf50?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sunscreen below spf50?

Does anyone know where I can find spf 15 or 20 in HK?
    The more Central/Wanchai area the better..

We have searched high and low and either it's 50-170spf (didn't even know that was possible) or I managed to find a factor 6. Not ideal.

Am fair skinned and have stalled at "slightly less pale" with my leftover spf30 from the UK. Looking to tan nicely rather than glow bright white or burn brick red.

annapajama likes this.

Have you tried Fanda in Central?

HK has pathetic selection at the best of times.

Some of the outdoors stores carry SPF20, some pricey Swiss brand (can't remember the name). Escapade Sports in Central has it.

Though the idea of "tan nicely" is a very English (or perhaps Continental) idea. An Australian would call it "sun damage".

The reason it's so hard to find is that the point of sunblock is to BLOCK the sun. No tans. As jgl says - that's sun damage. AND - if you care about your appearance - it's what causes wrinkles later.

Not to mention, the local ideal of beauty is whiter than white anyway. So... when in Rome...

carang likes this.

Body shop has SPF15
    Kiehls as well

But not cheap

Actually guys, in Australia the maximum SPF rating you can purchase by law is SPF 30. It was raised from 15+ to 30 about 10-15 years ago, and even today the cancer concil states that the difference between 15+ and 30 is only very small. Anything above 30 is just marketing bullshit that is outlawed in Australia, But I think US and Europe do accept up to spf 50.

I think this pictures demonstrates clearly why high SPF sunscreen is just marketing bullshit:

But I do want to correct myself. In June 2012 Australia has finally approved spf50 for sale, but against the wishes of the cancer council. The cancer council still promotes the use of spf30+ sunscreen and they say this is all you need. They are worried people will buy spf50 thinking they have a shield of armour on when in fact the difference between 30 and 50 is really nothing.

PharmaM and rainkiss like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You're living in Asia, a region obsessed with skin 'whiteness'.

There is no such thing as a 'safe' tan as a tan is a sign that the skin is attempting to protect itself against UV damage. Also if you have naturally fair skin, you might not tan at all. I don't. My fair skin starts to show sun damage (burn) within minutes if unprotected.

If you want that bronzed look, get a spray tan (not a sunbed) and use sunblock when actually in the sun.

MovingIn07 and Fiona in HKG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Actually guys, in Australia the maximum SPF rating you can purchase by law is SPF 30. It was raised from 15+ to 30 about 10-15 years ago, and even today the cancer concil states that the difference between 15+ and 30 is only very small. Anything above 30 is just marketing bullshit that is outlawed in Australia, But I think US and Europe do accept up to spf 50.
    Guess what?

We're not in Australia

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast