Like Tree2Likes

Medical Insurance

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Everything has a cost. If you are here legally, with a valid visa, the charges are tiny. Full llst here:
    http://www.ha.org.hk/visitor/ha_visi...10045&Ver=HTML
    Any idea about surgeries? I have heard opposing claims on this.. Some say all treatments are free or almost.. However I have had cases of permanent residents needing to pay around 80,000 for heart surgeries at QM infact in advance before the surgery..

Im raped by Bupa or at least my company was will be . Least said soonest mended but I like the idea of private.

Quote Originally Posted by PSMaverick:
    Any idea about surgeries? I have heard opposing claims on this.. Some say all treatments are free or almost.. However I have had cases of permanent residents needing to pay around 80,000 for heart surgeries at QM infact in advance before the surgery..
    actually there is sometimes an extra cost for special stents etc used in some surgeries used in the government hospitals . There is a safety net mechanism for the poor but yes the middle class get hurt the most with these self finance items . There is somewhat of a cheaper option often given . I wouldn't think that for most the extras would add up to 80000 though . 5000 sounds more like it . This is the same as say in Australia under Medicare some special treatment need copayment with welfare recipient etc exempted

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    actually there is sometimes an extra cost for special stents etc used in some surgeries used in the government hospitals . There is a safety net mechanism for the poor but yes the middle class get hurt the most with these self finance items . There is somewhat of a cheaper option often given . I wouldn't think that for most the extras would add up to 80000 though . 5000 sounds more like it . This is the same as say in Australia under Medicare some special treatment need copayment with welfare recipient etc exempted
    Yes, some pretty commonly public available items under most public health systems (think UK 'NICE" approved, Australia, Canada, etc) aren't on the approved list. E.g. they don't cover pacemakers. Or tamoxifen for cancer treatment. Or the standard 1st line of defence alzheimer's drugs. (not that you'll be needing those!) Which hurts the poor as much as the middle class.

I have experience with QM and Sanatorium.

QM is really good if you have something that is less urgent and you are prepared to wait. Yes, wait a long, long time. HK$100 for A&E and HK$100 for a bed per night (including nurse and doctor visit, medicines, x-rays, etc.). Indeed if you do happen to have something more critical you are required to finance it yourself. This is mostly the case for cancer drugs. Also restricted visiting hours 12pm-1:30pm and 5-7pm.

Santorium
    Amazing, efficient system and hotel like, but be aware to fork out a hefty sum. Much more tranquillity if you are admitted, nurses are all around and far better facilities to accomodate a patient to get better. I will recommend Sanatorium if you have something urgent, a good medical plan (or deep pockets) and want to get help faster. Visiting hours are pretty much all day long 8am-10pm.

Matilda
    Although I haven't experienced Matilda personally yet, my friends say that this is one of the best private hospitals in Hong Kong to deliver a baby. For public it will be QM.

Do I need travel insurance if I go to HK with a HKID? Does that even get counted as travel if I am a resident?

Need in what sense? The only visitors to HK who I know are required to have medical insurance are people on Working Holiday Visas. For anyone else it's optional.

And with a HKID (and valid visa if appropriate) you get access at very cheap rates to the public health system, so insurance is far from necessary.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4