Like Tree13Likes

anyone had colonoscopy?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    My inlaw just had a colonoscopy at Adventist Hospital, dr Edwin Lam. Total bill was 5.5k as no polyps were found.
    I had no polyps either, but Matilda ( will have to look up Drs name as can't remember, but very old school British type) still charged me 26k !!! Was in by 8:30 am and out by 12:30pm. ( I should have nicked some of the free toiletries and slippers to compensate!)

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    not yet. got it scheduled next week. but may cancel it in the next couple of days. ever since the in-laws left, my old diet resumed. everything seems normal now. also, might have exaggerated a bit to the doctor since was nervous before. may skip it for now unless it comes back again. really weird that everything seems normal now... will take a few more days to think it over. don't want do it for no reason.
    I know it all sounds like a truly horrible experience, but the worst is taking the stuff to clean you out. The rest, you won't know or feel anything if completely knocked out , as I was. My dr only recommended it as I am of the age where it is becoming more common, plus our family history, my mum never told me about till she was diagnosed. I have had cousins ( not so close but still r elated close enough) diagnosed with bowel cancer, and two are not around anymore to tell the tale. They were in their 30s and 50s. I was in my late 30s. You might not even feel symptoms. My mum didn't. A close family friend just had a premonition one day and suggested it offhand to my mum. Luckily she had the test as she was diagnosed with stage three just before mutation, meaning, she could have the ultra painful OP with recovery ( not nice from her description) and chance of survival, or the other option which no one would want to endure to the end.

Don't skip it. Get it over and done with for some peace of mind. I don't have to go back and get another colonoscopy for another five years.
    Last edited by Natfixit; 11-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    I know it all sounds like a truly horrible experience, but the worst is taking the stuff to clean you out. The rest, you won't know or feel anything if completely knocked out , as I was. My dr only recommended it as I am of the age where it is becoming more common, plus our family history, my mum never told me about till she was diagnosed. I have had cousins ( not so close but still r elated close enough) diagnosed with bowel cancer, and two are not around anymore to tell the tale. They were in their 30s and 50s. I was in my late 30s. You might not even feel symptoms. My mum didn't. A close family friend just had a premonition one day and suggested it offhand to my mum. Luckily she had the test as she was diagnosed with stage three just before mutation, meaning, she could have the ultra painful OP with recovery ( not nice from her description) and chance of survival, or the other option which no one would want to endure to the end.

Don't skip it. Get it over and done with for some peace of mind. I don't have to go back and get another colonoscopy for another five years.
    lol, you are not helping. well, no family history what so ever. a bit hypochondriac. really think it's unnecessary, but haven't made the final decision yet.

lol, you are not helping. well, no family history what so ever. a bit hypochondriac. really think it's unnecessary, but haven't made the final decision yet.
    In the absence of family history and symptoms, it is generally considered reasonable to screen for colon cancer if you are over 45-50 yrs old. Colonoscopy is one several acceptable methods of screening. You are expected to experience discomforts discussed in this thread. A rare complication is bowel perforation, and there was a recent case in the news of either heart attack or stroke during endoscopy in someone with very high blood pressure during the procedure.

Nothing to do with being a hypochondriac. My father has been fighting off bladder cancer since 1990. He was vain, as opposed to being melodramatic about being a hypochondriac and now has to have check ups every 6 mths, with the occasional tumour lasering. Plus side effects of chemo and having had his bladder lasered almost every 6 mths. I should have my 6 mthly check up for ovarian and cervical cancer, but hate being weighed every time plus the procedure. However, after seeing what family friends have gone through, plus seeing my uncle and granddad die of cancer ( prostrate), trust me, prevention is better than the cure.

You either do, or you don't. When I was 20, a friend nagged me like hell on earth to do a bungee jump in celebration of her birthday. After umming and ahhhing, I did and am still around in one piece to tell the tale. ( life flashed before my eyes etc..lol) so, think about it. May give you the shits thinking about it, but after that, you'll feel just fine.

Really the camera is no problem, getting the camara crew up there is the bit that hurts

I've got the opposite problem, bleeding from the bum but the doc had a look and said "looks fine to me", which has not resolved the issue as far as I am concerned though at least I know my bum looks fine having never seen it myself

are there different types of colonoscopy?

actually, anyone did virtual colonoscopy? my dad said it's easier and serves the purpose.

Last edited by Grumbler; 12-11-2013 at 08:16 PM.

To the best of my knowledge no.

The difference can be the level of sedation you require.

As has been posted before, it is not painful, but the cleansing drink is not that pleasant, but doable, and it can get a bit " windy" downstairs for a few hours after as you expel the air that they use to inflate the colon.

Man up, get it done for peace of mind, you won't need another for quite a few years!

Edit:- now you mention it I think there is a virtual one available, but I have no knowledge about it. Someone else may help.
    Last edited by Cwbguy; 12-11-2013 at 08:18 PM.

actually, anyone did virtual colonoscopy? my dad said it's easier and serves the purpose.
    There is something called capsule endoscopy. Basically you swallow a capsule camera which tracks its path down the whole GI tract. Its good for small bowel investigation but there are some disadvantages compared to colonoscopy.
    Just off my head (although I am no expert in this):

If you see something abnormal you cannot go closer for a better look as in a colonoscope.
    If the bowel prep is not complete, washing is not possible
    The colon is not distended so not so easy to see the folds
    There is no possibility of biopsy

Types of colonoscopy
    1. "Standard" colonoscopy using a physical scope through the back passage
    2. CT colonoscopy where you lie on a CT scanner using x-ray based method to take thin imaging slices of your abdomen and computer tech to get a virtual image of your colon
    3 Capsule colonoscopy which is a pill size camera
    4 sigmoidoscopy which looks only at the left side of your colon