Like Tree7Likes

How expensive is it to see a doctor in Hong Kong without an ID?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How expensive is it to see a doctor in Hong Kong without an ID?

Hey guys. I've just woken up in the middle of the night and am feeling beyond rough. Seems I have tonsillitis. I have work tomorrow so would like to go to a local doctor before work to get medication for tonsillitis.

I have an appointment next week to get my ID card, but that's to far away. Is it very expensive to see a doctor for a check up without an ID card?

Do you have the temporary paper card ? That'll be enough

Local doctors in Causeway Bay charge around $250-$350 a consult. Can't help on the ID question.

If you can't see a doctor ask in a pharmacy for advice.

We went to one up in midlevels that was recommended by some of the users on this forum and it only cost hk$100. There was a wait though, and I don't know if you need your hkid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryks:
    Hey guys. I've just woken up in the middle of the night and am feeling beyond rough. Seems I have tonsillitis. I have work tomorrow so would like to go to a local doctor before work to get medication for tonsillitis.

I have an appointment next week to get my ID card, but that's to far away. Is it very expensive to see a doctor for a check up without an ID card?
    where are you located, doctors in NT charge from HK$180 to 220, if u are in hk island, be careful as some charge double that amount

I would think there'd be a premium without an ID card.

Was in the A&E dept in a Wanchai hospital a few weeks ago. Whilst my missus who was taken in by ambulance had to only pay $100, a Malaysian man without ID card, walking in, had to pay $990!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

If it's just antibiotics you're after, most pharmacies will sell them to you over the counter without a prescription.

Sent from my HTC One X using GeoClicks Mobile

Koen likes this.

Taking your passport and showing you have a visa should be enough. But it could depend on who you visit.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Yeah Im curious about this... essentially if you lose your ID card you're liable to pay full rate? I have no visa in my passport, so if someone was to steal my wallet and bash me then I'd get charged full rate at the hospital, or can I just say I have an ID please look me up in the system or what?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    I would think there'd be a premium without an ID card.

Was in the A&E dept in a Wanchai hospital a few weeks ago. Whilst my missus who was taken in by ambulance had to only pay $100, a Malaysian man without ID card, walking in, had to pay $990!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app
    It's not a 'premium' to use a public hospital, as such. There are Eligible Persons (EPs), such as your wife, and Non-Eligible Persons (NEPs), as such the Malaysian you mentioned. The fees and charges for NEPs are different. The checks and measurements regarding who is eligible and who is not allow the government to provide highly subsided healthcare to Hong Kong residents, while not having to provide it to the rest of the world. Just recently, these checks were updated when hospitals were given access to ImmD records to allow them to to confirm whether the non-permanent HKID holder has valid resident status, and to charge them accordingly.
    shri and carang like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast