Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Gherkin
  • 1 Post By Gherkin
  • 1 Post By nassaugirl

A bad dentist in Central- what to do?

Closed Thread

A bad dentist in Central- what to do?

I had a dental check up in Central this summer and the quote I was given came to HKD30,000! Ouch.

Luckily my sister is a dentist in the UK and I took the chance to spend some of the money to fly back and see her for second opinion, plus I might as well trust my own sister to do dental work should they were all necessary.

It turned out that I don't need ANYTHING done at all. Oh and my teeth were in great shape. OMG.

This is rather disturbing and without sounding I want to make this HK dentist's life hell, I feel it is important to report his unethical dental practice to the local authority..so my question is, how do I go about this please?

Many thanks for your help!

Kfay likes this.

http://www.dchk.org.hk/en/index.htm

As a starting point.

What was the quote for?

Dentists in central are never cheap. You're certainly paying $$$ for a swish waiting room etc.

Thanks Jimbo, I know Central dentists aren't cheap. But for him to quote for works that I simply don't need, that's insane. And I wonder how many of his patients had gone ahead as they didn't seek a second opinion…that's bad ethics, not right.

Thanks for the link!

Indeed totally bad ethics

If I had a sister who was a dentist, and I lived in Hong Kong...we would become very close

Dentistry in Hong Kong is poorly regulated. There are a few good ones out there, but there are many more who are dishonest and/or incompetent.

I know more than a few people who go to Bangkok for major dental work....

@Closedcasket I agree, if the cost is this ridiculous, might as well go on a "dental holiday"! My friends in the UK found it bizarre, but not as bizarre as I found the HK dentist! ha ha

closedcasket likes this.

Gherkin, I had a similar experience a few years back with a dentist in DB. Went to get a second opinion and was told all that was quoted doesn't need to be done (roughly HK$ 32.000 for replacing dental work that is perfectly fine). Reporting her was of no use, so I made sure to put my experience on the DB forum (with name, details, etc.) to warn others.

I can recommend a reputable dentist in Central for further visits. Try Smith & Jain.

I think that quote is outrageous!

Natfixit likes this.

I go to Smith and Jain. I am being fitted with a new crown which costs 7K. That is reasonable. They offer you at least, the cheaper option and the more expensive, both with pros and cons. OP, I don't know where you got that figure from as I have not been quoted for anywhere near that by the dentists I go to. Dr Smith is great. Dr Jain is spot on and yes, he will tell you the price for a crown, clean. Checkup, whatever. I paid $500 at Distel and Partners for a consultation for infected root, when no one was in the Smith and Jain surgery. Both are sister dental surgeries and extremely good. I would like to know OP from where you got that extortionate price. If it is from Dr Lauren Bramley surgeries, then I am not surprised.

Hi Natfixit, the quote I got is not from Dr Lauren Bramley surgeries.

Thanks Nassaugirl for the recommendation! I don't really want to fly back to the UK for dental holidays to be honest, I would rather go to a trust worthy one in HK and then spend money on proper holidays!

If anyone wants to know the dentist concerned you can PM me.