Like Tree2Likes

Mouthguard wearers: Are they ill? Or do they think I am?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HKboiii:
    In case of the former: shouldn't they just stay home altogether then?

In case of the latter: isn't that rude/paranoid?

Or is it just because of the air pollution?

Most wear them due to illness, but I know some people who wear them because they think it helps with pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    I've also wondered this, and honestly it freaks me out a bit.
    I'm assuming you were not here during SARS. This started during SARS and has continued to this day...

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I'm assuming you were not here during SARS. This started during SARS and has continued to this day...
    No I wasn't... I heard about it from afar. I know it started then, but it just freaks me out...

I'm assuming you were not here during SARS. [/IMG]
    yeah, I remember.... empty restaurants, empty malls, plenty of space on the streets, fast border crossings, and due to the mouthwhatever highly reduced noise levels....

I was here before SARS and they were doing it. Unfortunatley, while it sounds a good idea, most here seem to use cheap chinese masks, which do nothing other than provide an illusion. Once the mask is moist from breathing, the germs are able to pass through and be expelled when they cough or sneeze.

Unless they are changed every few minutes. To be effective they need to use expensive proper fitting sub-micron filtration mask.

Or just stop using their sick days as a free holiday and stay at home when they are sick.

Rule of thumb for masks: If you can smell cigarette smoke through it they are useless.

Ok, so perhaps I'm right to hold my breath when walking past someone with a mask or sitting as far away from them on a bus. I certainly do wish to tell off people who sit next to me and are sniffling.

I wore a mask at work today. I'm not ill, but for the last few days I've been drained, and I suspect my immune system is running pretty low at the moment, so wearing a mask decreases the chance of me catching anything. Esp considering I work with 500+ people, and deal with a lot customer face to face.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

I wear a mask as I get more room on the bus/train when I do.

I wear one when I'm sick. Diseases in this part of the world are particularly nasty, and every ounce of prevention helps. I got VERY sick sitting near two European tourists who were sneezing up a storm; I wish they had been wearing masks, or that I had one of my own at the time!