Like Tree13Likes

Mainland Chinese wife wanting to give birth in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AsianDad58:
    No, i'm going to apply for the dependency visa for my wife, which means a HK ID, right?

Isn't the dependency visa and HK ID the same thing?
    You apply for Dependent Visa 1st, once that gets approved then she will need to go to immigration to apply for HK ID card.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    You apply for Dependent Visa 1st, once that gets approved then she will need to go to immigration to apply for HK ID card.
    What's required to apply for HK ID card after you get the dependency visa? i thought you get it automatically once you get the dependency visa?

You have to go and apply for it once your dependency visa has been stamped by Immigration border control.

Your wife will have to leave HK and return to get the stamp, then go to Immigration Tower and apply for an HKID card.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    You have to go and apply for it once your dependency visa has been stamped by Immigration border control.

Your wife will have to leave HK and return to get the stamp, then go to Immigration Tower and apply for an HKID card.
    THANK YOU. when you say "apply for an HKID card", what is involved in the application? or is this just a procedural step and she automatically gets the HK ID card when she arrives at the immigration office.

Quote Originally Posted by AsianDad58:
    What's required to apply for HK ID card after you get the dependency visa? i thought you get it automatically once you get the dependency visa?
    lets make it more clear for you and hope below info helps.

1. Once dependent visa is approved, your wife will need to activate the visa which mean she will need to leave HK and come back in, easiest way to do it is go to Macau and back.
    2. Once she returns to HK and the dependent visa is activated, she needs to go apply for HK ID card.
    3. Either go to HK Immigration tower early or book online http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...kregidcard.htm
    4. once you have the date sorted out, Immigration will take digital photos, finger print scan will be taken and fill out an application form. 1st time application if FREEEEEEEE
    5. Process takes 30-60 mins in total.
    6. She will be given a temporary paper ID CARD and a date when to pick up the real one which is usually a few weeks later.
    Claire ex-ax, kimwy66, emx and 1 others like this.

more details here on how to register for a HK ID card and what documents to bring.

http://www.gov.hk/en/residents/immig...kic/appu18.htm

When your wife gets her dependant visa and leaves Hong Kong, before she reenters she has to apply for an Exit Endorsement from her local Public Security Bureau in Shenzhen (assuming her Hukou is in SZ). This takes about two weeks after she gets her visa and she won't be able to use the visa until she gets the Exit Endorsement put into her China to HK passport.

The temporary ID is legal to use though so dont worry about her not having the plastic one in time.

Edit: I mean in the mean time before the proper one arrives (takes a few weeks)

Quote Originally Posted by Chinaski101:
    True. My wife is from the mainland so i have been through this process before. If you are on a working visa your wife can quite easily get a dependents visa. If you were a permanent resident she would have to get in line with all the other mainland spouses.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks mobile app
    The stronger your right to live in HK, the weaker your right to bring in a mainland spouse.

A paradox! A paradox! A most ingenious paradox!
    Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    The stronger your right to live in HK, the weaker your right to bring in a mainland spouse.

A paradox! A paradox! A most ingenious paradox!
    ROA holders can arrange for their wives to give birth in Hong Kong, though. RTL holders get royally screwed.