Like Tree37Likes

Psychiatrist for anxiety and depression in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Psychiatrist, medication, talking therapy CBT or counselling and then exercise. Exercise without tackling the root cause is pointless (for the depression) IMO and from personal experience.

Proplus, kimwy66, bibbju and 2 others like this.

Anyway, we have had similar threads, OP might want to search for it here on geo.

Personally, I have been inspired and changed by other people's life stories, eg Russian POWs in Germany and then straight into labour camp in Siberia, really ugly stuff....
    but still able to work and raise a family

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    Anyway, we have had similar threads, OP might want to search for it here on geo.

Personally, I have been inspired and changed by other people's life stories, eg Russian POWs in Germany and then straight into labour camp in Siberia, really ugly stuff....
    but still able to work and raise a family
    ...by going for a run and eating more oily fish presumably. ..

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Yes, mental health is a serious subject, but I don't think closedcasket was saying it isn't. His recommendation to go for a run is good general advice for anyone feeling down. No need to take offence.
    I agree with CC that some countries, most notably the US, over-medicate health issues and allow some conditions to become a badge of honour. And yes, the OP, who is now AWOL in this thread, was only asking about medication.

But the statement that 'the real culprit is diet, nutrition and exercise', is worthy of being pulled up on however.

If only it were that simple, but it isn't. The causes of depression range from environmental to genetic and everything in-between. But poor diet and lack of exercise I would say are the cause in a very small minority. They can help as part of the solution, but you have to be in a position to apply the solution first.

CC ably demonstrated a classic 'stiff upper lip and pull yourself together' attitude that has stigmatised mental issues for too long. We have no way on here to assess the OPs condition and decide they just needed a damned good run.

Quote Originally Posted by usehername:
    ...by going for a run and eating more oily fish presumably. ..
    It just shows how little you know about what we talk about,
    but I guess it makes you feel good to disseminate this kind of comment, glad to be of service

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    It just shows how little you know about what we talk about,
    but I guess it makes you feel good to disseminate this kind of comment, glad to be of service
    do you understand sarcasm?
    usehername likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Don't be so patronising. Just because I'm tired of you talking out of your arse on a variery of subjects where you appear to know nothing except what you've randomly selected from the internet doesn't mean I'm anything other than calm.

Mental health is a serious subject and something I feel very strongly about having had a lot of experience with people dealing with mental health issues. If people are using this forum to try and find help, the last thing they need is some fool spouting off rubbish that will only make them feel worse.

So congratulations, you just made my Ignore list.

Classic post. Telling me not to be patronizing as you continue to patronize.

I used to fight anxiety and stress a lot. I won't go into details, but it was pretty bad. I wound up self medicating and using drugs/alcohol more than I should. Than I started a family and no longer felt comfortable using these vices to cope. Anxiety and depression returned. Than I started running and getting back in shape. I now enjoy running long distances. I compete and train for races regularly. I love how I feel after a long, hard run. It is a high, better than any drug I ever took. When I travel or go periods without running, anxiety returns and I don't feel as good. I notice a big difference in my life ( even on a day to day basis) when I don't excercise.

I was very clear my first post and all others that this doesn't work for everyone. I acknowledge that mental health issues are serious. But if you go back and read what I wrote, I simply suggested giving excercise a go. It works for many people, and it certainly works for me. I'm addicted to running.

And really, with the manner in which you routinely attack me, I think it is best if you add me to your ignore list. Thank you for that courtesy.

Now, I'm off for my morning fix.... 5k along the tool waterfront.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 16-04-2014 at 06:24 AM.
    gunsnroses likes this.

The first step is listening and getting information from the person.

Telling and advising, is not the remit of the professional in the first instance.

Might be useful from friends, if they listen well and dont try to turn the focus on to themselves.

We can know nothing about the individual, any biological features of depression, exercise level ( eg can be excessive exercise in the case of anorexia) etc etc without knowing what to ask.
    Certain conditions run in families, for this you need a family history for example.

my best friend suffered from depression and anxiety last yr. she then sought help from a professional and had already recovered from it.

i do agree with hullexile as my friend got to know her root of problems from that professional and she felt much better after doing 10 sessions.

I couldn't agree with you more! The best way to crack depression is to do everything you can for yourself and if you are still feeling depressed, then seek medical help. Often times a new routine is all it takes- get off the couch and go for a walk around HK. Build that momentum by starting to run, Do this every day! Ease off on the booze (at least during the week) while you are going through this, and make a conscious effort to eat as well as you can. I know it is hard to do in HK!! Do this on your own for a few weeks, then consider joining the gym- it's hard to not go to the gym if you are paying for it. Try a spin class- this was my savior when I first moved here, spinning at lunch- get in a good routine. You will meet people along the way who are in the same position as you- strike up a chat and become "gym buddies." I did all of these things and I no longer am feeling depressed. As much as I want to take a Xanax or other branded pill, I feel so good after a workout that results in good sleep, healthy food (to maintain your new trim-status!) and going to bed early. Oh and best of all- nice and regular toilet time! Lack of sleep will only depress you more. I hope my tips have helped! Would love a stairs climbing buddy or a fellow hiker to join me- and we can keep each accountable! I'm a 33yr old woman in Central. Let me know if anyone is up for a workout buddy!

Cho-man and QvoVadis like this.