Anyone suddenly suffer from Eczema after moving to HK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up Anyone suddenly suffer from Eczema after moving to HK

I come from Australia. After moving to HK, I suffer from serious eczema i.e. skin allergy.

Anyone has similar case, expecially those come from Australia.

Any good Dr?

Yeah, I was born and raised in the United States; and when I came to Hong Kong, I, too, began to suffer from serious skin allergies. The Western doctors tested me for food allergies - and to my shock, I had apparently become allergic to foods that I had been eating freely all my life - and prescribed steroids. The Chinese medicine doctor, however, told me that it was the humid weather and polluted environment which had been challenging my body, and they recommended I avoid a number of foods which were different than those enumerated by the Western doctors. I've been following the Chinese doctor's advice for several years now and have my skin allergy under control, though, he has told me more than once, the only way to get rid of it is to leave Hong Kong!

Perhaps you should try visiting a Chinese medicine doctor and see what he advises.

I've noticed the incidence of eczema here is quite high. A lot of people seem to have it!

Benovate

I had Eczema as a kid and I used 'Benovate' cream. Cleared up completely, scabs and all within a week. Should be able to get it off the counter without a doctor's prescription.

Don't scratch or break the water-pustule, otherwise it'll spread to other areas. Keep it dry.

p/s: Sorry, didn't mean to be sooo disgustingly graphical, but for what it's worth hope that helps.

i always have eczema and it just comes and goes. However, i do realized that it is more serious when summer comes. maybe it is really because of humidity as dwoo says.
    I also realized that my eczema is aggrevated by MSG in food. If i eat at outlets where MSG is liberally used, it gets worse. If you are eating out alot more, this might be a factor.

voicesinmyhead, benovate is actually steroid cream, so your skin do get immune to it after awhile if you use it too often. It was recommended to me by the doctor to use benovate only if the condition is very serious and does not become better after using less invasive creams. Most GPs would have the less invasive creams available.

hope this helps.

(long-term eczema sufferer!)

I too am a life long suffer ....

I use aquequs cream in lieu of soap for washing and lotion - can be bought at Watson's or Mannings.

I also tend to use Melaleuca products (lotions, detergents, household cleaners, tea tree oil etc.)- I buy from the shop in Windsor House and Langham Place (office tower). A majority of the products are made with Tea Tree oil which helps to control outbreaks.

When it is completely out control (summer months) I use benovate I buy it from my local Chinese chemist/pharmacy.

Hi,

I too suffered from eczema suddenly - from the age of about 22yrs old until last year(now 33yrs old). It was especially bad on my face, hands & legs.

I used Betnovate cream initially but my doctor stopped it as it can leave you with thin skin & marks like huge stretch marks, if used frequently. Personally I wouldn't use it unless it is prescribed by YOUR doctor. I ended up using a steroid cream but only 0.5% (Betnovate is >1%).

I think my eczema was caused by allergies & aggravated by stress.

Cara, what cream do you use, out of interest?

I've had this problem for about the last six months, and the doctors usually prescribe a steroid cream, and tell me I'm probably allergic to a detergent.

I don't know which, but I've tried cutting out all cleaning products, and it still hasn't cleared up. It's also worse after I shower, so I wear plastic gloves (it's only on my hands), and that helps a lot.

How much do the over-the-counter creams cost?
    I don't really want to pay for another doctor's visit to be told the same thing again, if I can buy buy a cream for cheaper.

It also only started after I moved to Hong Kong, though I mentioned it to my brother, and he's had the same thing for a few years (he's always lived in the UK).

I had a problem with eczema on my feet after moving to HK. I've never had the problem before and I'm pretty sure it's because of the humidity.

As weird as it may sound - but I'm dead serious - try peeing on the affected areas or smearing the pee on them. Leave it there for a while (5 mins or so) and wash off. It's easily done in a shower or when taking a bath.

A lot of people swear by this and often the eczema's gone within a week. I know it may feel a bit 'out there', but it might be worth a try.

Last edited by shri; 11-01-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast