Like Tree7Likes

Newborn travel documents

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newborn travel documents

Hi, my wife is going to give birth any day now and I was wondering if anyone can help me with some travel document questions. My wife and I live in Shenzhen. She's Chinese citizen and I'm U.S. Citizen. Both of us have HKID as I work in Hong Kong, but we would like to take the baby back to China as soon as possible.

1) After registering the birth, how long do we have to wait for the HK passport and HK ID? Is there anyway to expedite this process?

2) What is the document we need to bring our baby back to China? what's the process of applying for this document and how long do we have to wait for it?

Thank you for your help!

applying for hk passport for newborns takes around 2 weeks

I believe your kid need apply for a home permit pass (wui heung jing/回鄉證) from cts

Quote Originally Posted by AsianDad58:
    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Lato]Hi, my wife is going to give birth any day now...
    I just answered your other post asking about hospitals but I gotto say, WFT man - you've known about this for months - why did you leave this so late?
    imparanoic, jgl and bibbju like this.

to be honest, best to concrete to get your wife to a hospital at this late stage, ideally, with minimal travel, are you and your wife in HK island now or still in Shenzhen?

HowardCoombs likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I just answered your other post asking about hospitals but I gotto say, WFT man - you've known about this for months - why did you leave this so late?
    We're already in Hong Kong awaiting the big day (close to HK Sanitorium). We just want to take the baby back to Shenzhen after the delivery.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    applying for hk passport for newborns takes around 2 weeks

I believe your kid need apply for a home permit pass (wui heung jing/回鄉證) from cts
    Thanks Imparanoic. How long does it take to get the Home Permit Pass? also, do you know if there is any way to expedite this process?

Quote Originally Posted by AsianDad58:
    Thanks Imparanoic. How long does it take to get the Home Permit Pass? also, do you know if there is any way to expedite this process?
    I don't know, for an adult, I believe it could take up to 2 weeks, for a newborn, I really don't know, ask CTS

But now, don't waste any more time on forum, get your wife to a hostipal ASAP

You can't collect the birth certificate until 14 days after the date of birth. I don't know anything about hk id cards passports though.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I don't know, for an adult, I believe it could take up to 2 weeks, for a newborn, I really don't know, ask CTS

But now, don't waste any more time on forum, get your wife to a hostipal ASAP
    Thanks. My wife is already in HK near sanitorium awaiting the big day. thanks for your concern! i wasn't clear in my original post

A couple of weeks to apply for the birth certificate, then application for HKSAR passport and HKID card will be a couple of weeks and application for the get you home quick card will be another couple of weeks. Around 6 weeks in total after the birth. No idea if any of that can be expedited but was the general timescales for my kids.

imparanoic likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast