Like Tree5Likes

CHOLESTEROL DOES NOT MATTER?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    Taubes argues that the bad calories aren't those from cholesterol - or fat - not even saturated fat - but from carbohydrates, especially easily digestible carbohydrates, and above all - sugar, in all its forms.
    That's similar to what Robert Lustig is campaigning about sugar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    But what about beans and lentils?? Mmmm. They're easy to freeze in batches and just heat up . A vegetarian bean and sweet potato chili is delicious
    After thinking about it for a bit, what I'm missing is the skills to make good tasting soups. I can throw every pounds of vegetables and consume it over a course of a week.

Will also look into this dish you described.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    After thinking about it for a bit, what I'm missing is the skills to make good tasting soups. I can throw every pounds of vegetables and consume it over a course of a week.

Will also look into this dish you described.
    This is the recipe for the chili. I used a mix of red kidney beans and pinto beans, and I used red quinoa: Sweet Potato and Quinoa Chili | The Dr. Oz Show. It freezes and reheats really well, so it's a good homemade lunch option. I've been meaning to make it again.

Generally, you can get organic beans pretty inexpensively and at most supermarkets. It's easy to make ahead on the weekend and then divide up into 1-2 portions and freeze. I actually end up eating way more pasta than I should instead of this, but at least the idea is a good/healthy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    That's similar to what Robert Lustig is campaigning about sugar
    I couldn't give a whole hour to the lecture, but from the first 15 minutes I learnt why Coca-Cola doesn't taste very sweet, even though it contains so much sugar: because it also contains salt, and the sugar is partly masking the saltiness.

Here is a quote from another book on the same subject, The Great Cholesterol Con by Anthony Colpo:

Among the ‘wholesome’ foods that the American Heart Association has deemed worthy of its heart-check are:
    • General Mills Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs, Cookie Crisp, Corn Chex, and Count Chocula;
    • Healthy Choice Low Fat Ice Creams;
    • Chocolate Moose Milk Chocolate Drinks;
    • Malt-O-Meal Frosted Mini Spooners, Honey Graham Squares, and Honey Nut Toasted O’s;
    • Kellogg’s Frosted Mini-Wheats Big Bite;
    • Kellogg’s Nutri-Grain Cereal Bars;
    • Pop-Secret 94% Fat Free Butter Microwave Premium Popcorn.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    I couldn't give a whole hour to the lecture, but from the first 15 minutes I learnt why Coca-Cola doesn't taste very sweet, even though it contains so much sugar: because it also contains salt, and the sugar is partly masking the saltiness.
    Sounds like a good book.

There's a series with shorter video clips/episodes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0zD1gj0pXk